How do you measure sound stage?
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #871 of 878
I’m not sure how the “hence” figures here, what the connection is between the two questions
I took a few shortcuts here… Where I was going is this “theory” that a messy group delay measurement is not necessarily a bad thing when talking about headphones abilities to present useful soundstage clues.

Not really how we measure soundstage, but more about how to characterize headphones (IEMs?) with “good” soundstage.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #872 of 878
Do small head movements also play a role in distance and position (soundstage) perception?
Yes, but that is to sense the physical distance between the listener and the speakers. It doesn’t apply to headphones, unless you’ve got head tracking, like with Apple Spacial Audio… and that is still pretty primitive compared to the cues that are created by real physical distance.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #873 of 878
If we exclude these cases, using DBT/ABX for example, we can restrict “any distortion” to only “audible distortion” (as castleofargh stated) but we’re still left with an awful lot of variables which results in the correct answer to your question being: Potentially yes but it all depends on your personal perception of soundstage (your HRTF in the case of HPs/IEMs, your room acoustics in the case of speakers, your listening skills, etc.), the exact nature of the audible distortion (it’s magnitude, duration and frequency), the specific recording you’re reproducing AND, how all these variables interact
Thanks. I should have narrowed your options to consider appreciably by saying something like “holding all elements constant such as the recording, source media (vinyl, digital, PCM, DSD, etc., resolution) room, listener, listening position and volume (essentially holding all parameters constant except for the electronics and transducers employed), then wouldn’t it follow that any audible distortion imparted by the electronics or transducers used to reproduce the recording could affect how we experience or perceive soundstage? One very long sentence begets another. A key change in my original statement based on the discussion so far is to change “would” to “could”.

kn

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #874 of 878
I don’t see how the DAC or amp could possibly affect soundstage unless they are seriously defective and aren’t performing at all to spec.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #876 of 878
Group Delay? I have read that our ears are sensitive to steep phase variations over frequency (but not to slow variations or absolute phase), which is exactly what group delay is about.

Another input to characterize the sound stage abilities of HP & IEMs?
I don't remember group delay being mentioned in books on sound localization. Or any small attempt to link them to personal preference or other subjective impressions, leading to a model that didn't defeat itself with several of the sampled measured.
I see it brought up more for HRTF models and simulations, but I always assumed it was because they use filters and worry about that.

Now, as with anything that's been discussed so far, if it becomes audibly different, it is always possible for our interpretation of the sound to be affected by it. But is it more meaningful as a variable for soundstage than the color of the pillows on the couch, or the size of the room I'm in while listening? I'm not sure.

About head movements. With real sound sources at some distances, it improves localization of sound sources for direction, and a little bit for distances(we still suck even with that). With headphones, it only gives cues to suggest the sound source is stuck to our head. Which will tend to contradict our interpretation of distances and stage no matter what headphone or IEM you wear, I think. They all result in the sound turning with your head the same way.
All of which seem unrelated to group delay.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #877 of 878
Thanks. I should have narrowed your options to consider appreciably by saying something like “holding all elements constant such as the recording, source media (vinyl, digital, PCM, DSD, etc., resolution) room, listener, listening position and volume (essentially holding all parameters constant except for the electronics and transducers employed), then wouldn’t it follow that any audible distortion imparted by the electronics or transducers used to reproduce the recording could affect how we experience or perceive soundstage?
That more narrow question helps, although I’d also have to assume we’re going on sound alone (no other sensory cues or cognitive biases) but then, we’ve still got some “it depends” answers in there. For example, it depends on the exact nature of the audible distortion and also of the electronics. In the case of transducers, then yes, sure, they certainly can and commonly do make a difference to soundstage but that’s largely to do with their interaction with room acoustics (their dispersion field for example) with speakers or interaction with individual users’ heads (the “fit”) in the case of HPs and particularly IEMs. When it comes to other electronics, DACs or amps for example, there shouldn’t be any audible distortion so the question of some audible effect on soundstage is moot. In those very rare, very low fidelity DACs and amps, some tube ones for example, then the answer is “possibly”, you could have a spray of harmonic distortion or IMD that might impact soundstage in some cases.
I don't remember group delay being mentioned in books on sound localization. …

Now, as with anything that's been discussed so far, if it becomes audibly different, it is always possible for our interpretation of the sound to be affected by it. But is it more meaningful as a variable for soundstage than the color of the pillows on the couch, or the size of the room I'm in while listening? I'm not sure.
I seem to remember something about it but not more than a mention and that was many years ago, most likely Olive or Toole. I did some experiments myself but that was nearly 30 years ago and concluded that it was an issue I could effectively ignore in my work except in very specific and very rare circumstances. Namely an isolated impulse type sound (quite tightly gripped Claves for example), very closely mic’ed or in near anechoic conditions and when applying steep EQs/filters for freq dependent processing, a set of circumstances I don’t recall ever actually encountering in practice, despite working with percussion extensively. I don’t remember now what it was I actually heard when testing but vaguely recall it sounded like a “loss of focus” (when the mono sound was centrally panned). That could be described as a “soundstage effect”, although there’s a good chance I’m misremembering what I heard (confusing it with something else) and I can’t rule out some other acoustic cause any way. “I’m not sure” is a good answer IMHO, although the lack of evidence to support the proposition, despite a reasonable amount of study over the decades, indicates that “probably not” would be more correct.

Not related to group delay but nevertheless an interesting effect is “stereo shuffling”, which is a stereophonic (soundstage) effect controlled by relative level and/or EQ, but it’s only relevant to M-S processing. It is possible to widen the stereo image illusion using “shuffling”, beyond the width of physical speakers.

G

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #878 of 878
There’s the other opinion you were looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back