How do you measure sound stage?
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #676 of 878
All of the data from all of those drives follows an error correction model that entirely precludes your conclusions.

You are making a claim that would literally force the redefinition of how digital data is stored and recovered. I say with a great deal of confidence that any and all differences you believe you heard did not actually exist.

If you have any hard evidence (or anything beyond subjective hearing assessment), please post if for discussion.

I'm also curious about your claim that all of these devices used the same cable to connect to your computer. It's been a very long time since a few early SSDs used a standard USB cable. and it's even less likely that an end user would have one For a while, some used eSATA/PCI, but nearly every modern SSD connects to it's bus via m.2 - certainly not using a USB cable to connect those. For clarity, the "box" housing the SSD may use a USB connector to your computer, but the SSD is not connected directly to that USB endpoint.

To be succinct, I don't think you understand the technologies in discussion here.
One of the drives tested was a WD Elements HDD 2TB external drive. The worst sounding to me.

One was a Seagate One Touch 2TB external drive, slightly better sounding to me.

One was a ScanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD, noticeably better sounding.

One was a 16GB flash drive from Target, slightly better sounding to me than the ScanDisk SSD.

My apologies. The Western Digital and Seagate HDDs use the same USB 3.0 connection and the ScanDisk SSD uses a USB C cable. For the two HDD drives I used the same stock cable that came with one of them. For the SSD, I used the stock USB C cable that came with it. As mentioned previously, the two HDD and SSD drives are external drives, in their own case and connected with a cable to the Node.

kn

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #677 of 878
Everything you're talking about is expectation bias.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #678 of 878
One of the drives tested was a WD Elements HDD 2TB external drive. The worst sounding to me.

One was a Seagate One Touch 2TB external drive, slightly better sounding to me.

One was a ScanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD, noticeably better sounding.

One was a 16GB flash drive from Target, slightly better sounding to me than the ScanDisk SSD.

My apologies. The Western Digital and Seagate HDDs use the same USB 3.0 connection and the ScanDisk SSD uses a USB C cable. For the two HDD drives I used the same stock cable that came with one of them. For the SSD, I used the stock USB C cable that came with it. As mentioned previously, the two HDD and SSD drives are external drives, in their own case and connected with a cable to the Node.

kn

Sorry, but there’s a zero point zero percent chance that any of those hard drives/transports result in different audio output. It’s an absurd claim, so unless you have actual evidence to share, let’s move on.

Data in transit from those (or any modern storage device) utilizes error correction to ensure accuracy. Again, if this wasn’t true, the entire digital data model would fail.

At some point, audiophiles need to stop believing that somehow, music stored digitally is “special” and not bound by the same well established protocols as any other digitally stored data.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #682 of 878
That situation might be different if you let your computer to turn off all fans when idling. Not having to listen to the sound of the HDD through an open headphone can be a tangible improvement, unlike the ones mentioned above.
Optimised PC build, fans don’t come on unless at 50% load or more, for a modern low power I3 CPU in a music server … never under normal room conditions …

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #683 of 878
I am clearly confused based on a previous post (#660) of yours in this thread and perhaps others where you indicated a lot of this is old hat and settled. … Clearly my mistake.
Yes, clearly your mistake! You are confusing the proven scientific knowledge of how things work, the scientific laws and theories, with the practical usage of recording/reproduction equipment to create commercial audio content. It should go without saying that recording/reproduction equipment is not some sort of magic, it’s “technology”, which is the practical application of science and therefore it must follow those scientific laws/theories. The laws of electromagnetism were proven by James Clerk Maxwell in 1865, the theory of how electromagnetic (audio) signals behave in cables was set out by Oliver Heaviside around 1876 (entirely derived from Maxwell’s Laws) and all working cables made since then comply with this theory/laws, while the theorem of digital audio (digital communication in general) was proven in 1947 by Claude Shannon. So the science is old hat and settled but how we employ the technology derived from that science to create audio content is not settled, it is constantly evolving. For example, if we want to record a sound, then we have to setup a mic, connect it with a cable to a mic pre-amp and/or recorder, etc. This is the basic science, it was true the first day that electronic recording was invented, is just as true today, and the mic, cables and analogue signals they generate/transfer follow exactly the same laws/theories (although of course recorders these days follow the theory of digital rather than analogue). What is not necessarily the same is the number of mics we use, their type and placement, which is highly variable and dependent on the engineers’ choices, as are the choices when editing/mixing subsequently.
My family members think I am “obsessed”, and while I love my job, my hifi and music habits occupy a lot of my limited processing power.
“Obsessed” relative to what? Maybe your family members think you are obsessed relative to them, who have little interest in hifi but how many hours a week do you really spend on audio? I regularly spend around 50 hours a week, have had long periods when it was more like 70 hours a week, numerous weeks of over 80 hours and this is all pretty standard for many/most engineers. But more important than just the amount of time you spend, is what you spend that time doing. For example, just casually listening to music recordings and reading reviews for entertainment or training your listening skills, critically analysing recordings and studying the science, facts, techniques, methodologies and “art” of how recordings are made?
I compared at least four different designs of USB powered HD, from USB stick, to solid state SSD drive to USB drives with a physical disk that must be powered with via the bus. My experience is that there is a difference in sound, with the physical disks sounding flat compared to solid state drives …
Again, think about that for a minute! … It’s digital information, just zeroes and ones, so for there to be a difference in sound those zeroes and ones have to be different. Presumably, the “physical disks sounding flat” was throughout the recording/s, not just once for a tiny fraction of a second? Therefore a huge number of bits would have to be different and not just any random bits but specific bits. We can measure the error rate and such a huge error rate simply doesn’t exist with USB, unless something is broken and even then, it would not be errors only of specific bits. Additionally, if the error rate were as high as you suggest all digital files would have a huge number of different bits (errors) and therefore USB would be unusable but clearly USB is not unusable, quite the opposite, it is used by countless millions of people.

So either: Something is seriously wrong with your testing methodology, you are experiencing a perceptual error (placebo) or you are suggesting some sort of unknown process that not only magically circumvents the design of HD or SS drives and of the USB protocol itself but also magically only affects audio files and only certain specific bits within audio files. And obviously, if you do circumvent the design of drives and the transfer protocol then how do you get any data at all out of the system, let alone a recognisable audio file? Therefore, unless you have some seriously robust evidence to support your suggestion, we can only rationally conclude one of the first two options must be the case!
For the record, I expected the HDD drives to sound the same or better with the Bluesound Node than the flash drive. They didn’t. They sounded worse. What is the opposite of “expectation bias”? Doubt bias?
This question indicates that you don’t know the basics of cognitive biases. Don’t you think it’s rather nonsensical to suppose and argue about something of which you don’t even know the basics, in a science discussion forum? FYI, the opposite of “expectation bias” in this context is still “expectation bias”, it’s just a different/opposite expectation, I’m not sure how that’s not self evident? Furthermore, “expectation bias” just predicts that if you know there’s a difference, in this case HDD vs SSD, then you might perceive a difference in sound (even though there isn’t one). It does not predict that you will definitely perceive a difference, what that difference will be if you do or how you personally will evaluate it, which is dependent on numerous factors, many of which are subconscious. Therefore, you stating that it couldn’t be expectation bias because of one single conscious expectation to the contrary, demonstrates both a fallacious argument and a lack of understanding of biases! Unfortunately though, this is a very common fallacy employed by audiophiles for decades to falsely dismiss cognitive bias/perceptual errors.

G

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #684 of 878
I can’t not look when I’m listening. Lol
it’s been a while since my undergrad psych degree.

Psycho auditory analysis is interesting yet, I’m sticking to listening and enjoying music. If I get something new in my chain, I’ll report back any differences.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #685 of 878
For the record, I expected the HDD drives to sound the same or better with the Bluesound Node than the flash drive. They didn’t. They sounded worse. What is the opposite of “expectation bias”? Doubt bias?
Unconscious bias is unconscious.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #686 of 878
Lol the "obvious fact" …
Maybe instead of laughing out loud at “obvious fact” you’d get along better here if you actually learned them, rather than dismissing them without evidence and making up nonsense alternative facts? Or maybe that concept it too difficult for you to grasp?
When are you going to learn that idiocy is not an insult as it has nothing to do with any particular person.
So if I call a bunch of people idiots (or are demonstrating idiocy) rather than a particular person, then that’s not an insult? Even if that ridiculous definition were true, you stated “this guy”, which IS a particular person and so you’re proving yourself wrong! Well done, that’s funny!

G

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #687 of 878
What i said was, take my qualitative descriptors of what im hearing that makes it sound different out as i might not have the correct metaphors..... But focus on the facts that it does.
Firstly, No that is not what you said, what you actual said was, take my “qualitative analysis” out, not qualitative descriptors!
Secondly, what “facts that it does”? Have you ascertained the sound actually is different or are you yet again just going on your personal perception/“qualitative analysis”?
Ok here's another example if folks can't compare gsx to wa33 EE, try a chord hugo versus Ak sp3000,2000,1000 now i suspect it’s more than chips, design etc that gives them a different sound. Chord Hugo uses upsampling ak uses oversampling. ak has a nice warm transparent sound. chord well its different. which you prefer is taste, imo
Apart from magic, what else is there other than “chips, design etc” that affect the output of a DAC or amp? Also, not only a “qualitative analysis” and qualitative descriptors again but also self-contradictory ones again! Either it’s “warm” OR it’s “transparent”, not both! Plus yet again, an assertion that the sound is different but can you support that assertion with anything other than your qualitative analysis (perception)?
Psycho auditory analysis is interesting yet, I’m sticking to listening and enjoying music.
How do you even identify music (as distinct from sounds/noises), let alone enjoy it, without the perceptual errors/biases identified by psychoacoustics?

G

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #688 of 878
Firstly, No that is not what you said, what you actual said was, take my “qualitative analysis” out, not qualitative descriptors!
Secondly, what “facts that it does”? Have you ascertained the sound actually is different or are you yet again just going on your personal perception/“qualitative analysis”?

Apart from magic, what else is there other than “chips, design etc” that affect the output of a DAC or amp? Also, not only a “qualitative analysis” and qualitative descriptors again but also self-contradictory ones again! Either it’s “warm” OR it’s “transparent”, not both! Plus yet again, an assertion that the sound is different but can you support that assertion with anything other than your qualitative analysis (perception)?

How do you even identify music (as distinct from sounds/noises), let alone enjoy it, without the perceptual errors/biases identified by psychoacoustics?

G
No that’s not what I said nor emplied

Magic? It’s pixie dust. And yes Virginia the dap can be warm and acurate. Yes perceptions are everything, perhaps you could perceive the same if you tried.

Psychoacoustics isn’t necessary to listen to music, frankly I never think of bias or component design and quality when I listen. The glow of tubes or a cool screensaver is about it.

I think I have gotten all there is to get from this forum. I’ll let you know if I get something new in the chain and if it sounds different.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #689 of 878
Stuff like this is a black hole spinning in the middle of the forum sucking everything into nothingness.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #690 of 878
Stuff like this is a black hole spinning in the middle of the forum sucking everything into nothingness.
You’ll be fine, just keep up the polysporen on that sore spot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back