How do you manipulate a low-offer buyer into offering more?
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 51
If you don't have a pony blah blah blah, you may want to simply thank the person for their offer and respectfully decline with no more communication. Let the buyer stew for a while. If they want it bad enough, they will come back. If not, then good riddance...

If you really want to sell the item, then offer the buyer some pretzels or churros with the sale. You just have to make sure you know which to offer so as not to offend the buyer.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #18 of 51
It's usually best to tie the price to a real world figure. If you're selling a car, argue for the KBB, or like how realtors base numbers on surrounding properties. Use whatever figures you can find to show that your price is reasonable. Explain that you're looking for market value. Throw it back by asking the buyer why he thinks it's worth less than market.

You might want to mention that others have given you below-market offers that are higher. Say that you'll sell to the first person who offers market. But add that you might sell for less, but that you need to check with the others first. Should create some uncertainty, and most seriously interested buyers will bite at the market rate.

Another small "trick" is to spend some time chatting with and getting to know the buyer. Might sound insincere, but people like to buy from someone who makes them feel comfortable. I bought a car last year, and while I could have gotten the same thing from several places at the same price, I went with the most personable salesman. Yeah, I know it was a sale, but the guy was nice and I liked him.

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #22 of 51
Read this (only a couple hundred pages, most of which are available here):

9780140157352H.jpg

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 51
I like the advice so far. From the suggestion of the book (coming from Voltron no less, lol), to the suggestion of getting to know the buyer, and yes, even the pony idea. Worth a shot if the buyer has a sense of humor, guess we'll find out....

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you be poor and have a pony?

The question is, how can you starve and have a pony?

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a lowballer necessarily, just a lower offer than preferential. Any ideas on subtle persuasion tactics?
wink.gif
I'm drawing a blank on this one...

I'd like to hear all input, from the deceptively simple to the deceptively devious...
tongue.gif

Don't sell, especially if the item is uncommon to rare.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is, how can you starve and have a pony?

Simple: DON'T EAT THE PONY

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the cow?
confused.gif

The cow was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back