How do you make those perfect ice cubes?
Oct 4, 2005 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I like to mix drinks and my wife and I enjoy entertaining. I have looked on the net but can't seem to find the trays or instructions on how to make those perfect square shaped clear ice cubes for cocktails. Does anyone know the secret??

icecube.jpg

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Use boiled and cooled(releases included/dissolved gases) distilled (no impurities) water in a superclean tray...

Deionized water is nearly as good....

If you have a brita or a katadyn filter system, they work good too, but the key process is to use boiled water...

Shapes, of course, depend on container for freezer - for longest lasting ice, use spheres....

For most rapid cooling, use crushed ice, sized big enough to allow about 10% to remain after the pour/mix process...

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Use boiled and cooled(releases included/dissolved gases) distilled (no impurities) water in a superclean tray...

Deionized water is nearly as good....

If you have a brita or a katadyn filter system, they work good too, but the key process is to use boiled water...

Shapes, of course, depend on container for freezer - for longest lasting ice, use spheres....

For most rapid cooling, use crushed ice, sized big enough to allow about 10% to remain after the pour/mix process...

Interesting, I heard something about distilled water but was told it had to be poured and frozen in layers or some nonsense. So you're saying just boil it and let it cool and than freeze huh??

Anyone know where to get the trays for those nice rugged square shapes??

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, we just use the remaining teapot water (we use deionized feedstock) after it has cooled each morning, pour it from now cool pot into the trays...

Perfect cubes will require you to heat the cooling tray to release the cubes...just another step...

Oct 4, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Also keep in mind that many/most ice cubes in commercials are acrylic, not ice...

G

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 11
The usual recommendation is a good brand of spring water. Try a few for taste. I also make some with little fruit slices inside. Make 1/3 sized cubes, then add fruit and water and refreeze.

The main thing to stay away from is water directly from the tap because they'll be cloudy, probably from the trapped air.

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 11
wow, thats a good thing to know. I'm going to try that next time i have a cocktail party.

One small tip, Ikea has great rubber ice trays in fun shapes. Its kind of corny i admit but i like it and they're cheap. a couple bucks each.

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 11
I always thought they used glass for ice cubes like in the commercials. Which isn't a bad assumption because I know they use weird things for whatever they're selling to look good. For example, in those breakfast menus, a lot of the times the eggs are cream cheese with yellow food dye in them.
And the pancake syrup?
Shoe polish with some other stuff.

Tell us how it goes.

=]

EDIT: Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingemt
Also keep in mind that many/most ice cubes in commercials are acrylic, not ice...

G

I skipped over that.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 11
While on the subject of ice, most bars use small cubes because they pack tighter and melt faster. They might use hollowed out ones so they melt real fast and let some drink take the empty space so you're not totally ripped off. One problem I run into at home with home sized cubes is they don't melt enough and the drinks end up stronger than in a bar.

<added>Wait! That's not a problem.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back