How do you listen to music on headphones?
May 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
I understand and agree that listening to music in pitch dark through speakers provide a very different listening enjoyment.  I don't do it often because I share my listening with a TV & wife.  How do you listen to music on headphones?  Have you tried listening in the dark?

May 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Normally when I'm doing something else - especially at work, when I'm wearing headphones instead of ear plugs for noise isolation (and listening to music beats listening to muffled thuds and screams), but occasionally I'll kick the lights off before going to bed and grab my headphones.  Concentrating on music definitely gives a more immersive aspect to it, regardless of what equipment is being used to play it.

May 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I listen around 7 to 10 hours a day sometimes more on days off.

May 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 13
I am a vinylhaulic so I have to sit close to my turntable (well, rather, my turntable is next to my desk). If I'm not doing anything I tend to lean back with my feet on the desk and immerse myself in the music. One great benefit of vinyl is that I can read the liner notes and look at the cover art while I listen, or I can close my eyes and really analyze the music, if I want.

May 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 13
Also, listening to music via headphones is, by nature, a very solitary activity so you will tend to find those who are a little more introverted attracted to the hobby. The hunt for vinyl at record shops is also very much a solitary but often rewarding activity.

May 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 13
You can hear things listening in daylight or maybe office light that you won't normally hear in the dark because you get distracted somewhat by visual things and certain sounds become more noticeable that way. Hard to describe but of course everyone is different but the different experience of day or night listening doesnt always give you the experience that logic suggests.

May 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 13
I mostly listen my music at work I use open headphones, I find then more balanced and because I can't be completely isolated because of my duties at job. BUT when I'm at home I wait until my wife and 2 sons are asleep (usually around 10 - 11pm) and I start fidelia and plugin my HP usually with just the laptop monitor on, in fact I didn't noticed and falled asleep with my headphones on, I waked 2 hr later... LOL

May 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Its the same with CDs as well...I love physical media.

Recently though I moved my nice recliner to my listening station and often listen in the dark...Put on headphones and just sink into the chair. Although, I find that I can't do this with higher energy music...it just doesn't seem to work...

Quote:
I am a vinylhaulic so I have to sit close to my turntable (well, rather, my turntable is next to my desk). If I'm not doing anything I tend to lean back with my feet on the desk and immerse myself in the music. One great benefit of vinyl is that I can read the liner notes and look at the cover art while I listen, or I can close my eyes and really analyze the music, if I want.

May 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 13
If I listen in the dark, I fall asleep FAST. I recently discovered reading the liner note from the CDs. Crazy right? We forget that it's there because we don't get it when buying music through iTunes or download.

May 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 13

It's hard enough for me to fall asleep at all, much less with headphones on. I really wish I would fall asleep like that though...
Quote:
If I listen in the dark, I fall asleep FAST. I recently discovered reading the liner note from the CDs. Crazy right? We forget that it's there because we don't get it when buying music through iTunes or download.

May 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 13
I usually listen on the sofa, laying on my back.

The cat will then stretch across my chest. After a few pets, she rolls onto her back.

I'll lie there listening while giving her a bellyrub.

May 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Usually in the dark, on my La-Z Boy, with a UV lamp turned on :wink:

I control my music software with my iPhone.

May 15, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Same with me, ive been doing that for the last week with my new SE535. The problem is, is that they have been falling out in the middle of the night and than i realize im sleeping on them and i forgot to put on the receiver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back