How do you like your steak cooked?
Dec 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #121 of 131

Quote:
between medium and medium rare is good for me. fully cooked is just too hard and super rare is....well i don't wanna get poisoned.

You shouldn't get poisoned by rare, or even blue steak - bacteria is only on the surface and is killed in the pan with any level of cooking.

Only reason you'd get poisened by rare steak was if the meat had spoiled - then you'd get poised by the same steak medium rare, medium, or whatever. Bad meat is bad meat.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #122 of 131
That's what she said! (couldn't resist lol) 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #123 of 131
Medium rare for steaks, and medium/medium well for burgers.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #124 of 131

Quote:
You shouldn't get poisoned by rare, or even blue steak - bacteria is only on the surface and is killed in the pan with any level of cooking.

Only reason you'd get poisened by rare steak was if the meat had spoiled - then you'd get poised by the same steak medium rare, medium, or whatever. Bad meat is bad meat.

That's exactly right.  The real concern is ground beef or other forms of contamination due to poor processing and handling.  People should be more worried about the Sushi they eat rather than quality raw beef.  So feel free to Carpacccio away!

A few days ago a friend and I grabbed some fresh Chuck from the store and ground our own burgers at home via Kitchenaid.  Ended up cooking underdone apparently so it was still a bit raw inside.  Freaking thing was so delicious we couldn't stop eating it regardless.  Best damned burger (King Hawaiian buns, sauteed mushrooms and onions and fresh Swiss) I've had since Hubert Keller's Burger Bar (Rossini) .  Not one trip to the boy's room.  Can't say that for most places that cook well done.  
blink.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #126 of 131
fyi, a porterhouse (or t-bone) is indeed a filet on the small side, but the larger side is a strip, not the ribeye

Quote:

Well roughly (and I'm strictly a layperson) this Ruth's Chris Porterhouse is a fillet and ribeye separated by bone, about 1.75" cooked. I would guess the bone contributes to the juiciness, partly due to the thin layer of fat between it and the cut. More or less in one steak you get the smooth, lean, beefy flavor of the fillet, and the fatty marbling of the rib section.

So what makes it worth $75? The cut, preparation, size, the escargot blanketed with baked-to-a-crust mozzarella at the beginning, and the excellent coffee and bread pudding in the end.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #127 of 131
Coming from an Indian family, steak was never really a big part of our diet, though my parents never had a problem with me getting a hamburger, pepperoni or any beef in particular. In any case, my dad grew up learning that all meat must be well cooked so he always ordered any steak he ate (which was very occasional) well done, so when I had my first steak, I also had it well done. Since then, even though I still only eat steak very occasionally, I've moved down to medium to medium well, but I can't bring myself to go any further down the cooking scale. I've tried medium rare and rare and the texture just feels very off to me. This would also be why I usually don't worry about trying prime cuts of beef since I know that any nuances of flavor will probably be lost on me.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #129 of 131
My family was big on well done as I grew up, so I never really loved steak, it was always bland. I recently got to try some nice steak at a friend's house, tried rare, medium rare and medium. Fell in love with medium rare.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #130 of 131
Quote:
Used to prefer well done (thinking about blood oozing out didn't seem appealing). Now, medium rare. 

It's not blood, but the juiced of the steak.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #131 of 131
Typically medium or medium-rare. I prefer the steak to be warm in the center, no coolness. 

The best steak I've ever had was a Porterhouse at Quality Meats on West 58th Street in New York, a treat best reserved for very special occasions unless you're affluent. Steak like that makes you sit back and shut your eyes, basking in the delicious flavor. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back