How Do You Like Your Bass?
Mar 30, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 32
I like my bass layered and textured. It's a rare feat. In those many cases I can't have that, I'll take well integrated and balanced bass.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
"I like'm round... and BIG!"
J/K, those are the lyrics of a song with some bass beats.
I like bass snappy and punchy, while deep, balanced, and controlled.

you like big bass and you cannot lie? all you other brothers can't deny?
basshead.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #19 of 32
I think "controlled" is the key. It's got to have punch and impact. In other words quickness, or speed of attach and decay matters more to me than any other single factor. This all goes to the "control" issue, because when bass notes linger when they ought not linger, they get "muddy" or "flabby" and thus uncontrolled.

To tell you the truth, I don't think "deep" matters as much most people seem to think it does. In other words, if a pair of speakers or headphones can produce tight, controlled, accurate bass down to 30Hz, that's good enough for me. There is not a whole lot of information to be found beneath 30Hz, and hardly anything beneath 20Hz. Beneath 18Hz, I can't even hear it on test tones.

For example, on my Martin Logan Aerius speakers, I'm pretty sure that they don't go below 40Hz, and although they're most definitely bass shy without subwoofer support and a good crossover, they're quite good at what they do produce in the midbass region. When I've had them placed in my 2 channel system without a sub, they perform quite capably on 90% of all CD's.

We now have a host of new headphones claiming to produce bass down to 5Hz. Good golly, Miss Molly! This is what my Buttkicker (bass shaker) does! This is in the region of "tactile transducers", something to be felt, but not heard.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you like big bass and you cannot lie? all you other brothers can't deny?
basshead.gif

So Fellas (yeah) Fellas(yeah)
Has your girlfriend got the "bass" (hell yeah)
Well shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, shake that healthy bass
Baby got back

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 32
I like bass that is deep, full, and well-controlled. I also like it to have texture and distinct sound, not just a dull thud or thump. I want to hear the sound of the drums and not just feel their impact. And it has to be in proportion, it should never overwhelm the rest of the music unless that is how the track is recorded.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #22 of 32
damn.... double post.

...man. i never double post.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #23 of 32
is it just me or is everyone saying the same three disciptive words?

Full, deep, and controlled.... enough said already. This thread went into a repetative seizure about 15 posts ago.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 32
There isn't enough options on this poll. I like bass that is detailed and has plenty of impact.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #26 of 32
I like the bass from my Triad Bronze HT sub, and powerbase extreme in its aperiodic enclosure... Low deep and resonant. Not boomy at all, unless I want it that way. I can vary the level and LP filter and make the walls rattle, or turn it down for something more subtle. I have cracked some of the interior plastic trim panels in my accord with the powerbase.
evil_smiley.gif

Since I cant get (even remotely close to) that from a headphone I'll make due with an amped DT770. Like my triad Bronze it can get low or boomy depending on my EQ settings.

So... I like something flexible that I can taylor to my mood.

Garrett

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #27 of 32
A lot of people say that they like fast bass. But there is no such thing as fast low frequencies. The impression of speed and transient attack is always related to higher frequencies with their much shorter wave lengths. I guess what people refer to when they talk about fast bass is the ability to perceive the overtones of a low frequency instrument in proper conjunction with the bass tone fundamentals, without phase distortion or group delay.

However, the desire to perceive 'fast', 'controlled' or 'detailed' bass quite often leads to an emphasized overtone content. If one listens to a stand-up acoustic bass in real life it's not quite as easy to tell musical notes apart and to perceive musical intervals as many headphones would have us believe. In many cases, it's the headphone's lack of true bass extension and impact that causes the impression of fast bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back