How do you keep your earphones in good condition?
Oct 5, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sgt_Strider

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my first ever earphones (Shure E4) not too long ago. However, I'm a little disappointed in that it developed several minor scratches on the cord. I was wondering if you guys had that problem too or it's inherent for portable devices like this?

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 21
Well I own UE super.fi 5 Pros but the reason mine don't get damaged is because I always keep them in the metallic crush proof case that comes with it. I also keep the ear pieces clean by wiping them with Clorox wipes. My suggestion is to try and look for a case or other form of protection.

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Well I own UE super.fi 5 Pros but the reason mine don't get damaged is because I always keep them in the metallic crush proof case that comes with it. I also keep the ear pieces clean by wiping them with Clorox wipes. My suggestion is to try and look for a case or other form of protection.

I don't think the problem is caused by not using the case. I think because I am so active that the cord is just hanging outside my shirt, it can get stuck with something or even "cut" by something sharp. If they had some sort of sleeves for the cable then that would be nice.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 21
I have this problem too but only over a long period of time; like about two years of usage. Looking into sleeves might be a good idea; I saw some for thicker cables while googling but maybe you'll have some luck finding thinner sleeves. I'm sure the cable damage is covered by your warranty too, especially if it happened that fast. I'm just thankful that my UE cables are replaceable.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
I have this problem too but only over a long period of time; like about two years of usage. Looking into sleeves might be a good idea; I saw some for thicker cables while googling but maybe you'll have some luck finding thinner sleeves. I'm sure the cable damage is covered by your warranty too, especially if it happened that fast. I'm just thankful that my UE cables are replaceable.
biggrin.gif

Unfortuately you can't do that with the Shure E4! Btw, where did you found those sleeves?

Oct 6, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 21
The only time I've ever had problems with my iem's is while trying to fit a pair into the (usually) too small carrying case. Rolling up the cord too tightly disconected the wire from a driver. Personally I'd rather have a few scratches, although none of my iem's have ever had the type of cord that scratches (at least that I've noticed)

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 21
My E3c got tugged dropped mangled in my bag, never had them in the case just wrapped around the ipod. Eventually they were eaten by my dog.

The MS1, the ear pads are starting to wear, lost one of the plastic caps, theyve been in the bag and tossed around, seem to be pretty sturdy only annoying thing is the wire tangling.

Ordered a pair of super.fi 5pro... ill be alot more careful with these... for about the first 3 weeks or so, eventually they'll have the same fate. But hey the thing is you use em' and will eventually abuse em, but hey at least you enjoy em
biggrin.gif

(plus it gives you opportunities to try other things when they eventually do give in)

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 21
I keep them in their case or custom case when not in use. I do not stick them in my ears after shower or expose them to humidity. Don't kick them or drop them and treat them with care.

Oct 6, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I bought my first ever earphones (Shure E4) not too long ago. However, I'm a little disappointed in that it developed several minor scratches on the cord. I was wondering if you guys had that problem too or it's inherent for portable devices like this?

The cable build quality on the e4s is very good, when compared with lower cost IEMs. It's natural to get nicks on the cable; I actually have been wearing them behind my neck and under my jacket, with the iPod in my side pocket. I find that keeping them behind you reduces the risk of these nicks and cuts. Hey at least the cables don't just disintegrate on their own like the EX81s did.

Oct 9, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
Just get some sleeving and heat-shrink and put a protective sleeve on... easy. Or run the cable inside your shirt/jacket.

Where can I purchase such products?

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 21
I also like to run the cord down my shirt to prevent it from getting snagged.

heat-shrink and sleeving can be found in electronic stores, or found online in most "computer modding" stores.

I don't know many that are not Canadian, but FrozenCPU comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back