How do you keep your ear drums from ruining?
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nonothing

New Head-Fier
So I listen to music at high volumes sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes, and I never really noticed a problem in my daily life. But then one day I found a few songs I really liked and listened to them for about 5-6 hours at near the highest volume my head set could go. Well after that my ear drums were a little sore. I went to the store and bought some ear plugs and wore them for a few hours before I went to bed, and when I took them out my ears felt fine. I do this semi regularly now for fear if I don't I would miss out on healing that I don't know I need.

My question is, does using ear plugs actually doing any good for my ears after heavy use of sound?

And if not, is there a real way other than the obvious, "Don't listen to loud music," that can help to prevent hearing loss, and help repair small damage done. Information like this could be good for people who enjoy concerts, where most of you know the high sound level is near un-avoidable.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 12
Prevention is all you have as of now when it comes to protecting your hearing. The technology for reversing hearing loss does not exist at this time, so play it safe: if you want to protect your hearing now, don't listen to music so loud that it'll hurt your ears for any period of time and protect them with ear-plugs when you know loud, damaging sound or music is coming at a concert, work, etc.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 12
Actually the reason I now use IEMs are because with the better isolation I don't crank the volume half as bad. In the old days, when listening to music on the underground or in buses, I had to real turn up the volume to hear anything. Now with good IEMs + foam tips, it is alot more manageable.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

My question is, does using ear plugs actually doing any good for my ears after heavy use of sound?

Absolutely not. Don't listen to loud music.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Hearing that is lost is not recoverable. The pain might go away with time, but if your hearing is lost, there isn't anything you can do to get it back.

Ear plugs would be useful during your loud concerts.

And don't play your music so loud that it hurts.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
The volume knob also turns counterclockwise. Be sure to remember that.

I also take breaks in headphone listening. After an album, I'll give it 30 minutes or so before listening to another. Sometimes I'll run the speakers then.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The volume knob also turns counterclockwise. Be sure to remember that.

I also take breaks in headphone listening. After an album, I'll give it 30 minutes or so before listening to another. Sometimes I'll run the speakers then.

Wait so taking breaks from loud music helps? How does that work?

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are more useful questions to ask, nonothing.

Such as defining "loud", and how to measure headphone db's at a given volume pot. position other than by pain experience...

Search is your friend
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 12
If you think it's too loud, then it is, and you're going to permanently damage your hearing very quickly if you continue to expose yourself to such levels.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hearing damage is primarily done in two ways. First, and the most commonly recognised, is listening at excessive volumes, the other is prolonged listening. Your ears need time to recharge in silence. Many people believe that one of the major contributing factors to recent increases in hearing loss is that people today spend much more time in noisy environments with less time spent in quiet environments where their ears can recouperate.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 12
I do the following:
* Keep the volume down when playing music.
* Use sound isolating plugs when knowing I will be exposed to higher sound pressure, or noise over longer time.
* Keep ears properly clean.
* Really careful when inserting items into the ears.

Hopefully that is enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back