How do you justify the high cost of your audio gear?
Jul 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xeculus

100+ Head-Fier
I was about to get the W3's today, but held off because that $290 is a arguably a large sum of money. I could do so much with it, say, for example, getting an iPad mini, which is barely a few twenties more. Being a student and all, I'd say it'd be a while before I get somewhere around this much free money to spend again.

Anyways, I realize this is HEAD-FI, unofficial sad wallet slogan and all. Just curious to hear some other people's own opinions and thoughts on justifying spending hundreds (and for some, thousands) on audio gear and the like. Don't you guys wanna get other stuff too, I dunno, like clothes, electronics, games, or food? :p

Maybe people have different priorities, considering age difference which also leads to a budget difference... but I'm still curious!

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 22
Like anything expensive I can justify the investment if I'm going to use it a lot. Listen to your W3's every day for a year and it's less than $1 a day! That's how I think about it. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
Don't you guys wanna get other stuff too, I dunno, like clothes, electronics, games, or food?
tongue.gif

Maybe people have different priorities, considering age difference which also leads to a budget difference... but I'm still curious!

Disposable income, nothing really magical about it. Work hard and play hard.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 22
Justify? I don't need to do that. I enjoy listening to music and it has brought me more enjoyment. If it didn't, I'd sell it. Same as the better camera gear I own has given me better pictures. The gear that didn't I sold. 
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 22
Spending of any kind without consideration for your priorities is foolish. That's a quick trip to poor town. You buy the next shiny object you see and you still have other items you actually need or want more than what you just bought. Even though you keep spending your money, you always have other items you really, really want. So, first set your priorities, then work towards buying the items at the top of your prioritized list - and ignore the items farther down. The list might change at any time - but NOT while you are surfing Amazon with your credit card in your hand!! :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Spending of any kind without consideration for your priorities is foolish. 

I would also add to this a crazy amount of time which audiophiles spend on forums, thinking and talking about audio gear etc. ( I'm not talking about professionals who make money on audio). I would even say that time is a more valuable asset than money. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 22
As long as your spending habit doesn't send you into debt, you're good to go.

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 22
I work I get paid, I cover all my cost of living, anything left over can be spent on whatever I want (that is legal at least) hence there is no reason to justify anything.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Like anything expensive I can justify the investment if I'm going to use it a lot. Listen to your W3's every day for a year and it's less than $1 a day! That's how I think about it. 

yeap, not to mention I eat pretty healthily and pretty cheaply, so there's food. I've sold uhh half off all my cans to pay bills before so there's the other priorities xD and the fun is the never ending cycle <3 

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 22
As people have already said, disposable income. Also, it's cheaper and healthier than drugs, right?

I think good audio and good botanicals go hand in hand.

As for me I don't exactly have a high disposable income being a pre-med student and all.
I justify the cost of my gear through the same measure I justify everything else in life.

Responsibly, of course

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 22
I buy a pair of $30 headphones and give them a good hard listen... then go back to my $600 cans.... yea I think that's justification in of it self lol [the differance was clear, and I had to BE OPTIMISTIC and write a reviews]

So that's another way I do it... granted $30 cans are FUN [like a 19 year old gal] ... but my w1000x is like a sexy 27 year old. She got's maturity and refinement! And a little fun in her when it's called for ;3  

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 22
My girlfriend is the only person in my life who understands why last month I purchased a pair of re-400's and tdk ba200's because she sees how excited I get and how much more I enjoy my music. Everyone else thinks I'm wasting my money on something I don't need. Well maybe I am but the amount of enjoyment I get out of my music is far beyond going out and getting drunk or high. Well maybe in the long run? Lol jk.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back