How do you interpret your music?
Jan 27, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you listen for when you listen to music?
biggrin.gif

Shutup and laugh and dont ruin my joke!!!!
atsmile.gif

Ok,ok...big baby!!! I listen for different things depending on what kind of system im on, or what music it is.
On tubes and panel speakers, i listen to warmth,stage,placement, etc.
On dynamic speakers or phones....punch,speed,detail.

But then theres my fun music where i listen to the song and not the system.
Alot of the time, i do listen to the system itself and play with hooking up different equipment etc.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 19
Depends.. If I want to analyze everything from studio conditions, acoustics, reverb, mic placement & every little thing most headphones don't pick up, I grab my DT48.. If I just want to relax, let my mind go free, & enjoy the music I put on the 650's.. IMO, emotion comes from the artist themselves not the headphone..

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 19
i love live albums. you get to hear the artists tell stories about the songs and what not, and really hear intonation changes in their voice when they sing a lyric they really believe in. (eg, jeff buckley - "live at sin-e". listen to it if you haven't. it's top 5 listened to all time for me.)

as other posts previous to mine, i usually don't listen to the lyrics until i've listened to the song MANY times. if the music passes the "look up the lyrics" test (ie, i've listened to it enough times to investigate what it's about), i'm most always rewarded with great, poetic, insightful lyrics. people who can create great music without words (or, music that can be appreciated without knowing the words) almost always have good things to say.

i don't know specifically what i listen for... the mood of the song and how the mood changes and reacts to, say, new instruments added to one part or a key change. chord progression and how the vocals react (especially listening to blues). i took a history of rock and roll class when i was a freshman, so i often hear specific elements of a song (eg, wall of sound), and like being able to know the roots of the element. that class, appreciating good audio gear, and 8 years of band/jazz band taught me how to listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back