how do you find great music?
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #16 of 20
Finding new, good music is certainly a challenge. It used to be so much easier when I had friends whose musical tastes were similar to mine and we could swap CDs and make mix tapes for each other. But those days are long gone. My friends nowadays have trash taste in music and I'm the only one that still listens to CDs (and I ain't swappin' LPs with nobody!). Alas!

Pandora is okay for music discovery, so long as you never give any artist the thumbs up. If you give an artist/song the thumbs down, Pandora will try to find something new and different that you don't hate; but when you give the Thumbs Up it tells their algorithm that you want more of the same, so your David Bowie station will only play Bowie.
YouTube is actually pretty good at recommending similar artists. I think you have to have the privacy setting set so that they can track and follow you, though, otherwise it can't learn what you like.
Allmusic.com. Other than the really obscure underground stuff, it's pretty much all there on AllMusic. There's a "Related Artists" section that has "Similar to," "Influenced by," "Followed by," "Associated with," and "Collaborated with" subsections. There is a lot of information there and in conjunction with YouTube it can be really useful. You can also poke around in the moods, genres, styles, and themes sections. So. Much. Info.
Spotify has "Fans Also Like," which is okay-not-great. It seems like it's just based on what is most popular, so if you're already into a genre, most of the recommended artists will be kind of obvious. If you're just getting into a genre it might be okay.
Google! I googled "10 best electronic albums" and am more than pleasantly surprised with my findings. I ended up finding a list on Flavor Wire of the best electronic albums spanning five decades! There was some great stuff on there that I'd never heard of.
I've also had some luck with music magazines. In particular, Mojo and Uncut both come with CD samplers. Some of it's good, some of it's not. I've found a few artists I didn't already know about that way. Uncut focuses more on new and indie/rock-oriented music, Mojo is a little more eclectic... Or maybe I've got that backwards. I can't remember.
Record stores! Of course, this has a lot to do with where you live. The best record stores are the ones with listening stations and knowledgeable staff. I can spend hours and hours flipping through vinyl and CDs and sampling stuff. If there's no listening station, ask for recommendations. Bring your phone and headphones with you so you can look up what they recommend on YouTube, Spotify, etc.
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot record labels. The bigger ones probably aren't so good for music discovery, but when I have an album I like from a small label, I'll check out what other artists are on that label. Sometimes it pays off.

As for specific recommendations: it's probably best if you list some of the artists you enjoy. While I'd also say I like good vocalists, I'd rather stick a needle through my eye than have to suffer through a lot of the stuff recommended here. I'm sure most people would say the same about my tastes.

thank you so much most of this is all new to me i got alot of work to do!

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 20
This is one of my favorite threads on Headfi (might actually be my top favorite) and where I get a ton of new awesome music.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...new-thread-new-rules-please-read-them.253245/

I like to try and keep an open mind and just pick random albums. I listen to the first track and see if it jives with me. If it does I usually let it ride! If not then I juts pick another album. What’s really cool is find someone’s tastes that you you really dig. Then you just piggy back all the music they listen to lol! Here’s lookin at you @Pietro Cozzi Tinin! Thanks for all the great tunes :beyersmile:

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 20
My method is to type into google the name of 2-4-6 bands I know and like. There are almost always some additional band names coming up in the search results who I don't know. Then I usually find the unknown ones on youtube and decide if they are worth a download or not. Unfortunately they are not always on youtube. In that case download is a pig in a poke. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back