How do you enjoy your music?
May 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
If you chose "other" please state what it is, thanks.
smile.gif

May 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 30
I chose listening with eyes open but mainly focused on the music...I am at head fi 99% of the time and in the other 1% just surfing the net.
I sometimes also play chess while listening to music but it makes me to concertrate on the game more than on the music,so i usually prefer not play and listen at the same time.

May 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 30
I'v noticed that some people can focus on a task while listening to music, but I cannot do that.  All my concentration goes to music and cannot focus on any other tasks, although I don't have that problem when working out at the gym.  Studying would be a good example, I cannot study with music on, the music overwhelms me, my auditory nerves overtakes me.  

May 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
I'v noticed that some people can focus on a task while listening to music, but I cannot do that.  All my concentration goes to music and cannot focus on any other tasks, although I don't have that problem when working out at the gym.  Studying would be a good example, I cannot study with music on, the music overwhelms me, my auditory nerves overtakes me.  

the hard thing for me is not to be able to concertrate on something else while listneing to music but concertraing in the music while doing other tasks...I think that at most of the people 100% purely listen only to the music is better and give more pleasure from it (especially when closing the eyes) .    but like you said,when i listen on my portable while jogging or something it is not reducing my concertration from the music,probably becasue sport activities do not require any thinking at all.   

maybe i should start listening without doing anything else in between..i agree that it is much more enjoyable.

May 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 30
Eyes closed so I can concentrate entirely on the music is my favorite way, but your other choices are also fine for me.  I voted Eyes Closed.

Curious why you posted this in the Sound Science forum though...

May 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 30
If I am in a mindset to "listen to music", I will close my eyes and drift along with the music. On the other hand, I almost always listen to music when I go outside (walk, commute), except perhaps for when I am with people (I don't want to seem too anti-social...). When I listen to music on the go, I cannot concentrate on the music so it becomes more of a soundtrack to whatever I am doing.

May 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 30
It all depends on what I am doing. If I am driving then it's a soundtrack to the journey, if I am at my desk (like now) then it's low volume background sound, and when I get a free hour I'll be relaxing on the sofa with lights dimmed and feet up, with a glass of cheap Portugese rosé by my side and my eyes wide shut.

smile_phones.gif

May 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 30
My preference is for eyes closed, late at night, sitting back in my chair with a cold root beer next to me.
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 30
I voted option #2. I usually am surfing the net or doing something at the same time, but it would be a stretch to say I am really stimulated by it. What I am doing with my eyes is mostly mindless, as I usually end up focusing on the music.
L3000.gif

May 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 30
^ this, but voted other

May 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 30
^ me too.  Often while working.  A lot of it is mindless (programming, crunching/graphing numbers), which allow me to usually focus on music.  Mindful activities, like writing usually take my focus, but I find that intense music (e.g. Coltrane, Sonic Youth) can provide the emotional soundtrack to the exposition of an idea.

May 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 30
I both open and close my eyes, but I try to think around the soundscape. I'm never doing anything else when I'm listening. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back