How Do You Discover Music?
May 9, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #46 of 143
by scrolling through youtube side bars,
from forums, including head-fi (metal-fi thread)
from artistis I've liked on facebook posting other music
random artwork catches my eye in stores and I listen
Friends recommendations
looking at artists on record labels with lots of artists I like already
Listening to random LPs from my parents collection
reading reviews in magazines, newspapers, store windows
hearing music in stores

May 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #47 of 143
To me the most rewarding way to discover new music is to study the work of musicians I'm already interested in and work from there, seek out the influences they acknowledge and the people they work with.
For instance, my long-standing love of Jim O'Rourke's work has lead me to listen to Van Dyke Parks, John Fahey, Tony Conrad, Roy Harper, Merzbow, Stereolab and even Sonic Youth (which I'd never have thought to bother with elsewise). That method has never done wrong ! 

May 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #48 of 143
I use Pandora. When I hear someone new to me I like I'll search for them on Amazon and sample other tracks. Internet radio in general has broadened my musical taste immensely and shrunk my wallet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

May 12, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #49 of 143
From youtube i know artist like Celtic Women, Eden's Bridge, Skilda, Nadia Ali, Moya Brennan, Liu Ziling, Zhao Cong, Wulan Tuoya, Ayuduo, and Tong Li. Youtube is amazing place :) you can find alot from it from traditional/ethnic music to Wing Chun, just amazing what you can find there.

May 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 143
Quote:
From youtube i know artist like Celtic Women, Eden's Bridge, Skilda, Nadia Ali, Moya Brennan, Liu Ziling, Zhao Cong, Wulan Tuoya, Ayuduo, and Tong Li. Youtube is amazing place :) you can find alot from it from traditional/ethnic music to Wing Chun, just amazing what you can find there.

Yeah, if it weren't for Youtube, I probably never would have discovered This Town Needs Guns.  That would have been a tragedy.

May 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 143
Wow keep up the good recommendations!  Maybe this is something a mod could consider stickying? 
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #54 of 143
Buying random cds with interesting covers at mad-low prices is entertaining, but usually a wast of time, can be funny though, so I do it from time to time

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #58 of 143
To me the most rewarding way to discover new music is to study the work of musicians I'm already interested in and work from there, seek out the influences they acknowledge and the people they work with.
For instance, my long-standing love of Jim O'Rourke's work has lead me to listen to Van Dyke Parks, John Fahey, Tony Conrad, Roy Harper, Merzbow, Stereolab and even Sonic Youth (which I'd never have thought to bother with elsewise). That method has never done wrong ! 

Agreed.

Favourite band: Red Hot Chili Peppers

What I got from them:

- Ataxia
- Atoms For Peace
- Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats
- Chickenfoot
- John Frusciante
- Flea
- The Mars Volta (even though my uncle listened to them, and I always saw them on his iPod)

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #59 of 143
Personally, every January here in the UK I check out Q magazines Top 100 albums of the year. From there it's allmusic.com for a quick read and to get a flavour and if it then appeals I'll listen to it and buy from there. Works for me!  

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #60 of 143
It may seem strange but reddit has some good stuff too.  I browse my favorite music genre subreddits and also r/listentothis.  There is some very strange stuff but sometimes there is some amazing stuff. Other than that youtube is amazing and so are friends.  +1 for indie bands and supporting them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back