How Do You Discover Music?
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #139 of 143
I'll second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the Bandcamp recommendation. It's full of great and not so great musicians handing out their stuff for peanuts. Like busking !

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #141 of 143
I may be old school...no, I AM old-old school. I have been an audiophile long before most of you were born.

Head-Fi is dedicated to high quality and good music. I offer this in that spirit.
When I want to" discover" high quality recordings and new music, which equals listening pleasure, I depend on The Absolute Sound magazine, and have for the past 40+ years.
Absolute Sound's reviewers are true audiophile music lovers who use criteria well established for discerning listening. I trust their trained ears and their tastes which is all across the spectrum.
Annually, they publish each critic's list of best recordings for the year.
You may or may not "discover" the very latest just emerged from their basement or garage band, but you will be directed to recordings that when listened to on state of the art audio equipment will stun you.
In the end the greatest band, if not recorded well, is eventually a source of fatigue and disappointment.
NOTE: I am not affiliated with nor do I  have any financial interest in The Absolute Sound

PS: if you want something different, give singer Theresa Andersson a listen. On headphones...amazing.
Theresa Andersson is a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #142 of 143
  I may be old school...no, I AM old-old school. I have been an audiophile long before most of you were born.

Head-Fi is dedicated to high quality and good music. I offer this in that spirit.
When I want to" discover" high quality recordings and new music, which equals listening pleasure, I depend on The Absolute Sound magazine, and have for the past 40+ years.
Absolute Sound's reviewers are true audiophile music lovers who use criteria well established for discerning listening. I trust their trained ears and their tastes which is all across the spectrum.
Annually, they publish each critic's list of best recordings for the year.
You may or may not "discover" the very latest just emerged from their basement or garage band, but you will be directed to recordings that when listened to on state of the art audio equipment will stun you.
In the end the greatest band, if not recorded well, is eventually a source of fatigue and disappointment.
NOTE: I am not affiliated with nor do I  have any financial interest in The Absolute Sound

PS: if you want something different, give singer Theresa Andersson a listen. On headphones...amazing.
Theresa Andersson is a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist.

Whoa... that sounds fun...  honestly I have a lovely place where I buy my music. I enjoy browsing the Forums and more importantly we have a thread for discovery! Simply put, rate the latest Purchase of the person above you, guy posts a video, we listen and we rate it. I usually find something I like every 3-4 days!

The Head Fi [what are you listening to] thread is another. Still I discover new music through listening to it via the streaming the web

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #143 of 143
I primarily use the website http://www.discogs.com/. They have a HUGE user-generated, accurate database of releases and it lists related albums/works when you view the details of each release. If you find that you like a particular label, it lists every single release under the label too. That website has helped me find more music than I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back