How do you deal with the changing seasons, physically?
Oct 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 32
Fall is definitely my favourite time of year. Colder weather, spectacular foliage, stronger beer, pumpkin pie... What's not to love?

The air around here gets very dry as winter settles in, and I also have the dry hand problem. However, there is a very simple solution:

Buy a good moisturizing lotion in a pump bottle (I use Aveeno). Put bottle by sink. Everytime you wash your hands, after you dry them, use the moisturizer.

This requires diligence for the first month, but then it becomes routine. When you wash your hands, you strip away the natural oils on your skin. Using the moisturizer immediately after washing ensures your hands are always protected from the dry air.

I suffered through winter with dry hands for the first two years that I lived here. I was amazed at how soft and supple my skin was last winter. All that was required was a simple change of habit.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #17 of 32
This thread is filled with love. lol

Winter, summer, they both have advantages and drawbacks. I work outside most days so I get a good taste of real weather. Some of my fingers have bad circulation I guess because they easily become numb if exposed even when the temp is several degrees above freezing.

If your hands become badly dried/cracked you can turbo charge the healing process by saturating them in lotion and wear latex/silicone gloves while sleeping.

I'm hoping for snow this winter as always but I don't get to see much where I live. The accuweather forecast looks promising this winter.

WINTER2010USOverview.jpg

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 32
Last winter was pretty killer... I remember when we got ~3 ft of snow in one day. Then there was that ice storm and I didn't have power for two days, which I thought was horrible until I heard about people who lost power for over a week.

We had snow for a few hours yesterday; I can't think of a time in my whole life where we had snow mid-October. It's going to be a great winter, I'd better stock up on beer now!
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 32
Here in San Antonio we don't really have seasons, per se, but winter brings the occasional cold front (highs in the 50s to 70s) which is a very welcome change. Time to go outside and enjoy the weather!

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 32
We only have two seasons in Southern California: warm and hot.

I did enjoy living in the Pacific Northwest, though. Fall was always wonderful there.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 32
In upstate NY, we have all 4 seasons:

1. Almost Winter
2. Winter
3. Still Winter
4. Construction!

tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I also run into two extremely irritating problems which only seem to be getting worse as I grow up: my hands, and more importantly, my eyes, dry up.

Get a humidifier in your house/apt. or better yet, a heating system that has a humidifier built in. Makes a big diff.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #22 of 32
I wonder if the so called "Global Warm-up" have been cancelled?!
Cause I certainly have not seen much results of it during the last years. The winter seem to start earlier than ever, with cold weather (-5c <-> +8c) since the beginning of October...

Its quite depressing!

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 32
I don't think so. You will still get cold areas, even though other areas are getting too warm.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the so called "Global Warm-up" have been cancelled?!
Cause I certainly have not seen much results of it during the last years. The winter seem to start earlier than ever, with cold weather (-5c <-> +8c) since the beginning of October...

Its quite depressing!

Warming will not be a real problem here at north, but getting colder. If golf current stops for a while thanks to global warming and melting of the north pole, it will be really cold real fast up here. We are afterall on same level as Greenland.

In any case, here in Finland, atleast WESTERN Finland, its other way around. Winter comes really late and we are lucky if we get barely any snow (that would last) until Christmas.

*edit* Whoops, typo

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #25 of 32
man it get's cold here i mean it's a dormant 60-70 degrees chilly,snowless
we have a pretty horrid winter in the lone star state

Ps, it doesn't snow in Texas it's just sleet no "real" snow

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #26 of 32
As controversial as it is, winter is my favourite season. The aesthetic of the whole season is just so appealing to me, and just more serene. Hockey and snowboarding are also perks
biggrin.gif

As for how I physically 'prepare' for the season, all I really do is wear a hat and scarf. I wear the same jacket all year round. I will periodically don gloves as well, but usually my hands just go in my pockets.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #28 of 32
Fall around here is great. Nice crisp air, autumn foliage... the sunrises and sunsets are usually more colorful this time of year as well.

My main concession this year for winter will be buying a car with airbags. I used to bike to work all year round, but now that I've changed jobs and have to drive, my trusty old beater 1990 Tercel can't handle the wetter freeways and occasional snow as well as I'd like.
For wardrobe changes, I'll start wearing silk longjohns and a wool cap in a month or two. And for the occasional high-energy wakeup, a light box works wonders.

I usually play more golf in the wintertime, too, since I have more free time and the courses are cheaper and much less crowded.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In upstate NY, we have all 4 seasons:

1. Almost Winter
2. Winter
3. Still Winter
4. Construction!

tongue.gif

Having lived in Upstate NY almost my entire life I can personally say that this is SO true.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 32
Luckily, here in Colorado every season is more beautiful than the one which preceded it. I prefer to sit by the window and enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back