How do you cut bar solder into smaller pieces?
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skaelin

Head-Fier
Just got some Cardas bar solder. This is the first time I've ever used bar solder. I'm not sure how to cut it into smaller pieces so I can put it into the solder pot. The pot only has a 1 inch inner diameter. Any suggestions on how to cut this stuff?

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Is that how this is done, with a hacksaw?  Or is there some better way?  Everything I read says keep your solder pot filled to the rim.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that with hacksaw size pieces.  I've got one of those little Hexacon mini-pots.

Any help would truly be appreciated.  I've searched for days and I can't seem to find this addressed anywhere.

It just occurred to me that a Dremel and the right wheel might do it.  Any opinion on that?

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Just an update.  The Dremel worked perfectly if my goal had been to shoot tiny pieces of bar solder about at very high speeds.  Unfortunately, that wasn't what I was after.  But just for future reference, in case anyone is looking to do that, it works exceptionally well.  If you'd like to know the exact wheel attachment number let me know.

Bolt cutters.  I can try that.  I was looking for something a little more precise though.  Like I said, I've got a mini-pot.  I think I need mini-pieces.

Speaking of bolt cutters...  The hardware store around the corner rents out their bolt cutters for $5.  I always thought that was odd.  Like they were encouraging the cheap thief trade.  I asked them to reconsider.  They said no.

An edit:  God, I love Amazon Prime.  18 inch bolt cutters delivered this Saturday.  Even better, next day delivery of a 100lb drill press, $3.99.  The FedEx guy is going to hate me but I don't care.  He's kind of fat and look like he needs a bit more exercise.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 7
No need to cut. Just prop it in there and let it melt until you have enough. The hard part is making sure at first that you don't burn the pot while it's empty. You could start off an empty pot with some no-core (no-flux) wire solder. Only have to do this once. To top it off, you just need a way to lift it off the bottom and let the last bits melt away. Don't use your hands, not even in gloves (unless you have fire rated gloves)--the bar will get __extremely__ hot.

Your 1" pot isn't going to work too well like this. This is posted mostly for other people with a wider pot relative to the bar. Maybe it'll help prompt an idea.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Bolt cutters.  I can try that.  I was looking for something a little more precise though.  Like I said, I've got a mini-pot.  I think I need mini-pieces.

I have the Hexacon mini pot myself. You can cut off relatively small pieces with the bolt cutters.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back