How do you convert a CD into MP3 files?
Jul 31, 2002 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MagicBoy14

New Head-Fier
I'm a bit new to this "high-quality" MP3 stuff. Previously, I was just using any old program to convert my CDs into MP3s. I was wondering if anyone could explain the "proper" way to encode a CD into MP3 files? Is it a one-step process (CD-into-MP3s) or is a two-step process (CD-into-WAVs-into-MP3s)? Also, what programs should I use for best quality? Furthermore, what settings should I set for the program? Lastly, is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for your time!

Aug 1, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 5
I would suggest using the search function for this forum to find out the answers to your questions. There have been many threads about this very topic before, such as this one

It seems that Nezer is the local authority on this topic.

Aug 1, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Right, I read that thread, and I think I get the general jist of the whole concept, but I'm still a bit confused. What exactly are you supposed to do? From what's written, it seems like you stick the CD into the computer, use EAC, then use LAME on the files that EAC created? But, a few questions...where can you get EAC and LAME, and what settings should be set in both of them? Also, is there a way to easily ID tag the MP3s? Thanks for your time.

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 5
www.exactaudiocopy.de for EAC. The LAME link escapes me at the moment but there is a compiled DLL that integrates nicely into EAC though you lose some of the advanced controls that you get with the command line version.

Use Google and search for LAME DLL.

Aug 3, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Get LAME from here.

Userdifined with a commandline like:
--alt-preset fast extreme -Y --id3v2-only --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty %y --tn %n --tg "%m" --tc "EAC v.0.9 Beta 4 Secure & LAME v.3.92 '--alt-preset fast extreme -Y'

for example
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back