How do you connect your headphones?
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!
I use my PC as my main music player like most of this forum. I see that most of you have more than one pair of cans and also have a speaker system.
I would like to know how do you connect them to the computer? Do you plug only one thing at a time and then switch them every time or do you have a more sophisticated solution?
The reason I'm asking is because I recently got my first can and I want to connect the speakers and the can and the same time because it's annoying to get into a fight with all the cables every time I want to hear something different.
Thanks!

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 9
I knew that those existed, but do they affect the SQ?

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 9
I plug my headphones into the amplifier, which in turn are hooked up to the DAC, which in turn are hooked up to the computer, ..
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 9
My creative card has a headphone feature that mutes speakers when front panel connection is active. Likewise, my speakers have a headphone-out jack. Hopefully the E-MU 0404USB or 0202USB that I am going to buy will have a similar feature
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 9
My speakers have a headphone out plug but I think it affect's the SQ.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I wouldn't use the speaker's HP-out as it will probably degrade the sound rather significantly. A 2-way splitter like what FallenAngel suggests is a better option. Depending on build quality some of the cheaper ones will degrade the sound as well but IME the difference is very small and almost undetectable. Audioquest actually makes a pretty decent one for $15.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
I use my PC as my main music player like most of this forum. I see that most of you have more than one pair of cans and also have a speaker system.
I would like to know how do you connect them to the computer? Do you plug only one thing at a time and then switch them every time or do you have a more sophisticated solution?
The reason I'm asking is because I recently got my first can and I want to connect the speakers and the can and the same time because it's annoying to get into a fight with all the cables every time I want to hear something different.
Thanks!

depends on what kind of soundcard you've got, some allow "mirroring" of outputs (so whats labeled as "Surround L/R" can actually be Front L/R as well, and you can have headphones and speakers connected at once)

personally, I'm like krmathis in terms of my setup, and I just switch 'phones out on the amp (unplug them when not used), I also have speakers on the system (don't even ask me to explain it, I look at the wiring on this thing sometimes and ask myself how I could allow it....(and no, I have no splitters or mirrored outputs
tongue_smile.gif
))

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't use the speaker's HP-out as it will probably degrade the sound rather significantly. A 2-way splitter like what FallenAngel suggests is a better option. Depending on build quality some of the cheaper ones will degrade the sound as well but IME the difference is very small and almost undetectable. Audioquest actually makes a pretty decent one for $15.

As long as you disable the "Automatically change to headphones settings" you're fine. Just PLEASE turn down the volume before you plug them in. I've made that mistake before, not fun with "easy to run" cans like K414P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back