how do you clean your canalphones?
Feb 12, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 23
There is no "audio membrane" on the Shure E3 so you don't need to worry -- the driver in place is armature, not dynamic. That said, you don't need to break out the toothpicks and thoroughly violate the bores either...
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 23
My tri-flanges get all icky yellow sometimes on the tips, and isopropyl alcohol does an okay job of cleaning it up. I usually just let it sit in alcohol, go do something for around ten minutes, come back, rinse them in water, and let them dry.

Also, note the crucial step: LET THEM DRY!

Shure canalphones, I think, will seem to "break" after washing the earpieces sometimes and then magically start working after a few hours. I am pretty sure that the cause of this is water. If the earpieces aren't dry, then the water left in the stem region will be squeezed into the area with the driver, and on my left side, it always dies a little bit (sound becomes extremely muffled). After a few hours, the water evaporates, and hence, the "magical repair."

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
Shure canalphones, I think, will seem to "break" after washing the earpieces sometimes and then magically start working after a few hours. I am pretty sure that the cause of this is water. If the earpieces aren't dry, then the water left in the stem region will be squeezed into the area with the driver, and on my left side, it always dies a little bit (sound becomes extremely muffled). After a few hours, the water evaporates, and hence, the "magical repair."

You wash the canalphones themselves?!

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 23
How are the Sensaphonics 2X-S supposed to be cleaned? Mine actually got more comfortable as they got more waxy, since they slip in and out muuuuch more easily. Still, now they look more opaque than transparent, and I'm just wondering....

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 23
I stick my ER4 up my butt and slowly extract it from the opening while exercising a rhythmic movment of the sphincteral area. Sonic improvement is apparent after such cleansing.
redface.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 23
Uugghh!!! You guys are flat nasty! Sorry I opened this thread.
eek.gif

FWIW, I clean the triflange on my ety's with a combination alcohol/hydrogen peroxide. First, I use the alcohol to remove any build-up then a good soak in hydrogen peroxide to whiten them up. I've found the key is being frequent and consistent with the process.

As for the "other" suggestions......well, words fail me.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 23
rogerlee. yea, i wouldn't count on the "miracle-repair". water may evaporate fine but hydrogenperoxide,isopropylalchohol might ruin the insides before it evaportates. if any of you use soap, make sure you rinse well b/c the soap will leave a solid residue.

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigeruppercut7
My shure e3c came with a little "pick" that's supposed to clean out earwax. I think the tip is a little too long and it might puncture the "audio membrane". Any suggestions?

The loop is designed to be the right length and can be inserted fully. You shouldn't be able to touch the drivers with it in normal use.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
How are the Sensaphonics 2X-S supposed to be cleaned? Mine actually got more comfortable as they got more waxy, since they slip in and out muuuuch more easily. Still, now they look more opaque than transparent, and I'm just wondering....

Ouch, how gross! You are supposed to clean them regularly. The way you are doing it now, you are inviting ear infection to happen. Be carefule with you ears, they are the only listening istrument nature has given you. And they're not repairable.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Ouch, how gross! You are supposed to clean them regularly. The way you are doing it now, you are inviting ear infection to happen. Be carefule with you ears, they are the only listening istrument nature has given you. And they're not repairable.
wink.gif

With my Sensas, I check the bores to see if any mess has gotten in there (never had a problem with wax, just dead skin), and get it out of there with the included pick. Then I dust off any bits of dry skin on the outer part with the brush. Then I spray some Elacin cleaning spray onto a cotton ball and clean the earpeices.

So far, no ear infections.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 23
I just use warm water and soap to clean my ER4 triflanges. Definitely gets the grime out, and as a minor side bonus, I don't need to dry them thoroughly before using them - I just need to make sure the bottom and the tube of the plug are dry. This leaves some water in the flanges themselves which makes insertion easier.

Feb 14, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
My tri-flanges get all icky yellow sometimes on the tips, and isopropyl alcohol does an okay job of cleaning it up. I usually just let it sit in alcohol, go do something for around ten minutes, come back, rinse them in water, and let them dry.

Also, note the crucial step: LET THEM DRY!

why rinse with water? just let the alcohol dry.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 23
I use soap and warm water on the tri flanges. And yeah, they must dry thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back