How do you choose speaker wire?
Jan 13, 2005 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. As I've said in another thread, I'm kinda new to speakers (coming from headphones). I've finally gotten my speakers and amp set up, and the sound is beautiful. However, now I want to make sure I'm making the most of this setup. To start, I just got some cheap speaker wire at Radio Shack. The guy there said that since I'm only using a 15 watt amplifier, that I should use 24 gauge wire. He said that thicker wires will make my sound "get lost in the wiring." This sounds like total BS to me, and this wire seems really thin as well. Anyway, the point of this thread is to help me choose some wire properly (and also to tell me What that Radio Shack guy was talking about). I want some very good speaker wire that will be good for use as approximately 10ft long, and will be good for the Sonic Impact T Amp + bookshelf speakers. I'm hoping to spend only 20 bucks, but I can go up to 100 bucks if I save up (and I will never even think of going over 100). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help, guys.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
Hi. As I've said in another thread, I'm kinda new to speakers (coming from headphones). I've finally gotten my speakers and amp set up, and the sound is beautiful. However, now I want to make sure I'm making the most of this setup. To start, I just got some cheap speaker wire at Radio Shack. The guy there said that since I'm only using a 15 watt amplifier, that I should use 24 gauge wire. He said that thicker wires will make my sound "get lost in the wiring." This sounds like total BS to me, and this wire seems really thin as well. Anyway, the point of this thread is to help me choose some wire properly (and also to tell me What that Radio Shack guy was talking about). I want some very good speaker wire that will be good for use as approximately 10ft long, and will be good for the Sonic Impact T Amp + bookshelf speakers. I'm hoping to spend only 20 bucks, but I can go up to 100 bucks if I save up (and I will never even think of going over 100). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help, guys.
biggrin.gif

First off, congratulations on getting into speakers, they are just as fun and rewarding as headphones are. As you expected, the Radio Shack guy was full of crap. Although 24 guage wire will probably work, using a better wire will make a better connection possible between your amp and speakers. My recomendation is to use 14 guage or better. You can buy a pair of quality 10 foot 12 guage cables from Blue Jeans cable ended with locking banana plugs for about $60/pair. 10 guage may run you $70ish and is probably overkill for your application. If you really need to stay inside the $20-30 range, either get just the cable from Blue Jeans and omit the terminations, or head up to Home Depot and look for some 14 guage lamp power cord (Affectionately called 'zip cord' in audio circles). It's cheap and sounds OK.

Good Luck in your search, happy listening, and By the way... what speakers/amp did you get?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Just noticed you mentioned that you got the t-amp... So you will need to omit the bananna plugs anyway since the t-amp doesnt have proper binding posts. Your best bet is to get 2 lengths of 10 feet of 12 guage cable from Blue Jeans and it will run you about $8 plus shipping. Here's A Link

What speakers did you get?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jan 13, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
The guy there said that since I'm only using a 15 watt amplifier, that I should use 24 gauge wire. He said that thicker wires will make my sound "get lost in the wiring."

That sounds like incredibly strange logic. Personally I would get the largest gauge possible in there to maximize the transfer of those few watts. The strange spring clips on the T-amp will probably only allow ~14-16 gauge wires, but I would check around with member who own the amp to see what the max gauge cable you could use is. I'd return that wire that the RS guy sold to you unless you want to use it to make interconnects.

Jan 14, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Home Depot sells 16 guage RCA "Home Theater" speaker wire that comes in a 50' spool that is supposed to be, 99% pure, for $29. I used it for years before making the big jump into Straightwire, and then, eventually Cardas Neutral Refs. If you need terminations, you can get Monster banana plugs that have a twist and lock termination, at Circuit City, or Best Buy, for $12 for 4.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. Also, I'm using the Sonic Impact T-Amp with some Signet SL 250 B/U bookshelf speakers for those who were wondering.

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree 16 ga should be good for 10-20ft length. The resistance of 24 ga will get significant for longer run (regardless of your amp) that it may affect the sound of your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back