How do you burn in?
Dec 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RASeymour

500+ Head-Fier
I searched the site but wasn't able to find an answer to this question.

I've always just left the amp or headphones plugged in to my stereo and played either cd's nonstop or left the radio on. I use mostly portable type equipment, nothing more than $500.

When you burn in an amp, do you need to have headphones plugged in? Or is just plugging the amp in to the sound source good enough?

Do you leave it in continuously? When I read headphoneaddict's wonderful posts he speaks about 1,000 hours of burn in. Does he do it continuously or on and off?

Is there a better way? Does it matter?

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 14
i don't see how burn in would even work with an amp especially a solid state... of course i've never tested this as both the amps i currently have were purchased used

and from what i've read with headphone burn-in some people use pink noise some people use a wide variety of music some use various test tones and such

and as for your question on leaving heaphones plugged into the amp or running without... it's probably safer to leave some headphones plugged into it (even cheapos are better than nothing)

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 14
To burn-in an amp, I'm guessing that you have to plug headphones, otherwise the signal won't reach all the components.

HeadphonesAddict leaves his amps continuously burning-in, 24/7.

Also, to burn-in an amp, you don't have to use pink or white noise. Any signal, coming from a stereo or a radio system is OK.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Simply plug amp into aux OUT or rec OUT of a radio and leave on 24/7. Yes, you must also have headphone plugged into amp to provide a load.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 14
edit: withdrawn. sorry.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 14
I didn't mean to get in to the whole question of whether to burn in; that question has been debated here at length.

However, I did just have a good example of the need for burn in. I bought the iBasso T4 for my walk to and from work. Out of the box it sounded just horrible. Even after using it for a few hours it still sounded horrible. However, after burning in for 36 hours, the sound improved dramatically.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 14
I'm sorry for derailing the thread. My post was not helpful to anyone one really, so I've edited it out.

Lets get this train back on track!

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 14
I feed my baby "Blackbird" (RSA-71a) Planet Rock mostly. Doesn't seem to have done any harm.

Seriously though I listen about 2 hours a day during my daily commute. I have only been doing continuous burns at weekends from Friday night through to Sunday night or Monday morning. This works for me and I have gradually built up to 700 hours (note RSA amps tend to require a long burn in).

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 14
I like to use the XLO Test & Burn-In Disc. Tracks 7-9 Repeated. A couple of frquency sweeps & some pink noise is the most effective way in my opinion. Also, resting or forming in between sessions is highly recommended.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I searched the site but wasn't able to find an answer to this question.

I've always just left the amp or headphones plugged in to my stereo and played either cd's nonstop or left the radio on. I use mostly portable type equipment, nothing more than $500.

When you burn in an amp, do you need to have headphones plugged in? Or is just plugging the amp in to the sound source good enough?

Do you leave it in continuously? When I read headphoneaddict's wonderful posts he speaks about 1,000 hours of burn in. Does he do it continuously or on and off?

Is there a better way? Does it matter?

I think you've already answered your own question.

As for using pink noise, normal music from your mp3 player/computer or from the radio, whichever is better is a debatable point; but all methods will work just fine IMO.

Though I would think that playing more than one type/genre of music (e.g. alternating rock, classical, jazz, metal etc.) might 'season' the amp or headphones/dynamic driver IEMs better. That is just IMO of course, and I haven't done testing on that 'hypothesis' yet.

Good luck on your burning in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks everyone for your great responses!

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 14
I simply hook it all up, then start enjoying music.
Letting it burn-in while I use and enjoy it.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back