HOW DO YOU BUILD AN AMP
Oct 3, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by paulb
Hehehe, used to charge up caps to a couple hundred volts and throw them to people in our electronics class. Luckily, nobody died.

very_evil_smiley.gif
Hey I remember pulling that on a few epople in Jr high about 100 years ago!! I used to wrap the leads around them so you just about had to touch both when picking one up. Then I would ask the unsuspecting interloper to "pick that thing up over there and hand it to me please." Muhahahahaha.

Oct 3, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 30
I guess you guys remember that the chairs were plastic buckets with 4 METAL rivets that anchor them to the METAL legs, right? Oh the purple and black scorchmarks on the backs of the thighs... you're right, we'd get jailtime for assault today.

Sigh. Memories...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 30
Jesus, you guys are ****ing evil! remind me never to take an electronics class with other headphone nuts in it...

Oct 3, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 30
Come on Neruda...have a seat in my class, I won't shock you with high voltage, trust me...
very_evil_smiley.gif

No but seriously, I'm currently enrolled in a grade 11 electronics class and no one ever does that kind of stuff.

Jeez, the kids are alright. It's the adults I'm worried about!

Oct 3, 2001 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 30
heh, i used to have fun throwing charged caps at people. luckily, no lawsuits.

i remember a friend came to hang out in my high school electronics class. he got bored and stuck a cap into an electrical outlet. i saw it start to smoke, and out of fear of an explosion i tried to kick it out of the outlet. it blew just as i kicked it out. there was a little chunk of my shoe missing. ever since that day i would walk into my electronics class early and see kids blowing up caps in the outlets.

Oct 3, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
heh, i used to have fun throwing charged caps at people. luckily, no lawsuits.

i remember a friend came to hang out in my high school electronics class. he got bored and stuck a cap into an electrical outlet. i saw it start to smoke, and out of fear of an explosion i tried to kick it out of the outlet. it blew just as i kicked it out. there was a little chunk of my shoe missing. ever since that day i would walk into my electronics class early and see kids blowing up caps in the outlets.

You guys ever blow up pencils? Yup, lotsa fun! sharpen both ends and wrap bare lamp cord wire around each end of the pencil and plug it in. Smoke comes billowing out of the seam along the length of the pencil...then...POW!! cool
tongue.gif
sheesh! I sound like a kid again! haven't recalled that stunt for over 30 years! Hey man, I'm going back to my headphone listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Later!

Oct 3, 2001 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 30
Not to digress in the blowing **** up thread, but...

Has anyone here had any experience with the foreplay kit from bottlehead?
Has anyone made a headphone amp out of it?

Oct 3, 2001 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Not to digress in the blowing **** up thread, but...
Has anyone here had any experience with the foreplay kit from bottlehead?
Has anyone made a headphone amp out of it?

Hmmm...
  1. Can you get enough output & gain from a 12AU7 to drive cans? It's been too long since I worked with tubes
    eek.gif
  2. You would need a transformer to match the output impedance
  3. confused.gif
    [/list=1]

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:44 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
the output impedance of the foreplay is way too high to drive headphones directly,here is one persons solution
http://www.users.qwest.net/~pspwr/Fo...eadphones.html
other options are a dedicated headphone amp on the output,active buffer as headphone driver,buid a small cmoy amp into the chassis or use a transformer such as the soon available Joseph Lau transformer

That seems practical. The way I see things around my house, probably a tube amp, or a JMT, could be a good way to save space and keep stuff away from babies hands. As for the amp, do you have to build it into the preamp or can you just get one and connect it?

Oct 4, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #30 of 30
there is only one set of output jacks and no rec output so adding a headphone amp to the output means a "y" adapter.But hey,the foreplay is a kit and that means add what you need.Adding a record output jack is as simple as tapping the signal from the signal coming from the input selector switch.I would put a dpdt switch inline with the new jacks for disconnecting the rec feed when not in use to keep a pure signal path.The other problem would be muting the output to the amps when used with headphones.Again a switch is in order .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back