HOW DO YOU BUILD AN AMP
Sep 28, 2001 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
I am interested in building my own amp. I don't know where to begin. I have no education in soldering or whatever. I can't do jack.

What do I need to get started? Do they only teach this stuff in college? Can you recommend any books on teaching you how to build amps? Is building amps very difficult and time consuming and, most importantly, does it cost a lot of money?

So the question is...how do you build an amp?

thanks dudes.

Sep 28, 2001 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 30
You build an amp one component at a time.

Ok, do you like puzzles? DIY won't save you any money - if you just want an amp and have no interest in learning the stuff. You'll get angry that you can't solder, you'll get confused because there's no kit, you'll spend more than you need to cause there's no de facto parts list... in the end you'll be angry, broke, and have a really ugly messy thing that might sound good.

Discouraged? Just go buy an amp. Try HeadRoom.

Not discouraged? Build a CMoy. http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy2_prj.htm It'll cost about $50 and take a few days, but it will take a week or so of research and parts ordering. Ask more questions. Cruise the forum. Ask even more questions. etc etc.

Sep 28, 2001 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 30
Look in the library, Dewey decimal no. 621.381. Should be something there that shows how to solder, etc. Practice on something cheap. Like a headphone amp run by batteries.

Oct 1, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 30
I found something that you migth like:

www.bottlehead.com

They have a bunch of valve kits for preamps and amps that seem really easy to make, mostly, it seems, running wires from one side of the board to the other. I am going to try the preamp next year (mostly because the amp is a bit far from my budget), and then perhaps the amp. The circuit seems to be easy enough to start. As for the CMoy amps, I know it's very easy to make, but my soldering experience goes only as far as the cable on my headophones, and that's it. So, I wouldnt go to that for the moment.

There are also some kits available at Radioshack, not really good quality audiphile stuff, but should be a good start, specially if, like me, you don't know the difference between a resistor and a capacitor.

Take care and good luck.

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 30
Yep Rick, those things seem to be easy enough for non experienced people like me. Also, they look like a way to kill two birds with the same rock: Start with DIY and also start with tubes.

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 30
Apheared: that was beautiful, man. Makes me want to buy that tip cleaner stuff from radioshack and pick up the iron again.

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 30
Well, it might help to have some knowledge in electronics, too!

I took my first steps way back yander with the Forrest Mims books from Radio Shack. Maybe "Getting started in electronics" would be a good place to start learning? His books are very easy to follow, and you'll learn a lot, which helps. It's hard to build an amp if you have absolutely no idea how electricity works. Or the parts your using.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 30
one word of caution guys TUBE GEAR CAN BE LETHAL
not something to go at unless serious.When I poke around in my tube amps it is with one hand in my pocket.Do a little research and you will know why (need a damn wink smiley here)
evil_smiley.gif
with a wink

onearmed bandit

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
one word of caution guys TUBE GEAR CAN BE LETHAL
not something to go at unless serious.When I poke around in my tube amps it is with one hand in my pocket.Do a little research and you will know why (need a damn wink smiley here)
evil_smiley.gif
with a wink

onearmed bandit

So you don't create ground and turn into a french fry. Insn't it?

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 30
you got it onix.The voltage would go from one side , through your heart and then make the circuit on the other side of your body.And that is a recipe for death,no jokin' around here.
The voltages in tube amps can be extremely high,not something to fool around with after work if tired and just learning.
Not that I am trying to scare anyone away from trying thier hand at tube amps,just don't want to see anyone get hurt.But on a happier note,tube electronics can be a blast
biggrin.gif
If up to it go for it,but don;t get lax

frown.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 30
evn worse would be "death by capacitor".I have been bumped by cap banks a couple of times.More scared me than did any real damage, except to an amp I was assembling years ago-the bitch hit the floor and totalled out the faceplate when I JUMPED , hehehe

check the headwize archives under "tales of destruction" or just do a search on rickcr42-been there and back again when it comes to blowing **** up
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back