How Do You "Back-Up" Your Computer Music Files?
May 4, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 50
i'm currently backin up to DVD-Rs and storing them in a safe place. Thinkin about backing up the backups on an external HD though... i think prior experiences 'n the stories one hears around here has made me more 'n more OCD throughout the years

May 4, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 50
I backup my files to an external 250GB drive, but I also use an online backup service:

http://www.mp3tunes.com/

I currently have about 120GB backed up on the service. The initial uploading was a pita and took months, but once that was done, it was pretty simple to upload single albums at a time as I got them.

Rick

May 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 50
External HD + Microsoft SyncToy.

May 4, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #20 of 50
I used to keep a mirrored copy of my server drive, but I always worried about what would happen if someone broke in and stole the machine, so I've switched to keeping a backup online using Amazon S3 (via JungleDisk). There are cheaper online backup services that offer unlimited space, like Mozy ($5/mo unlimited) but I like the flexibility of Amazon S3.

May 4, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 50
Sweet, another geek. (embrace it. own it.)

rsync -ruv ~/music/ /mnt/backupdrive

Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rsync -av /mnt/drivewithmusic /mnt/backupdrive

May 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 50
I back up my music .... on my ipods. I have ~50 gigs and figure if it's on my HD and two ipods (one imodded, one regular) it's probably safe.

May 7, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 50
you could try buying it legally on a cd or itunes.

May 7, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 50
I have more-or-less similar copies of my music collection in four separate locations: my laptop's second hard drive, my music server, my external hard drive, and on the family computer. I haven't been doing a great job at keeping them all identical and updated, as the state of a lot of these computers is currently in limbo. Once I get all of that sorted out, I'll have to become more vigilant about that sort of thing.

May 7, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleMAUS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't accuse him of anything you cannot prove.

But to awnser your question, the best bet is RAID1. It no thought data backup. And will slightly improve read times of your library.

Everything is backed up as you use the drive, a perfect mirror image of the drive.

May 7, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 50
It must just be me, I keep my backup on my Mp3 player.
tongue.gif

May 7, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

putting stuff on cd's don't protect you from burglars robbing your house and stealing them (your house can burn to the ground or destroyed by a tornado).

people who don't know any better buy drm-protected crap, and they'll lose their drm license when they upgrade windows -- and I doubt if the average joe knows how to backup their drm licenses and restore them. And again your house can get flooded and your hard drives be under water.

May 7, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #28 of 50
Buying it legally from iTunes as a backup strategy? How does that work? If your HD crashes can you download it all again free?

The OP asked a reasonable question. You should give him and everyone else the benefit of the doubt and the level of respect we all expect in a public forum.

As to the OPs question, USB external hardrive, DVD, or second hard drive RAID 1 not 0, or just as a secondary drive. GBs are cheap now.

Quote:

May 7, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

I have 700 CDs that took a lot of work to rip. I'd hate to have to rerip them because a hard drive failed. I'd feel the same if I had a 100 CDs

May 8, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #30 of 50
i have all my media files (music & pictures) on two hard drives in my pc.

with the price of large hard drives so low it makes no sense not to do at least this. microsft has a killer little app called Sync Toy that makes it a breeze to backup vast amounts of files in all sorts of ways.

however, this does not protect against something like a fire in your pc, or any act of god such as a flood or fire in your house, or a theft.

i am taking my old rig and making it a file server and either keeping it at a friends place on high speed internet or just keeping it at my parents house when i move out after the summer.

your other option is to have two hard drives for data in your pc plus an external drive that you store offsite and bring to the house once a week or every couple of weeks and back up then bring it back to the off-site storage - like a friends house, safety deposit box or at work etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back