How Do You "Back-Up" Your Computer Music Files?
May 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #31 of 50
id like to just re-iterate for all you hard drive backup people the lil proggie i mentioned called Sync Toy - free for all microsoft windows users.

it is very good.

May 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover
Buying it legally from iTunes as a backup strategy? How does that work? If your HD crashes can you download it all again free?

I don't know about iTunes but Napster allows you to redownload them.

My brother has about three external hard drives I could use but until I have a large collection, I'm not going to bother.

May 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #33 of 50
I have two external 320gig drives, both with mirrors of my FLAC archive. I've had a near hard disk drive failure when I had only one archive so I'm being cautious. It took me a week to rip my entire CD collection to FLAC.

May 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes. This thread reminds me that I need to get an external drive for my Mac.

Check a Walmart. They have some items on clearance. I saw at my local Walmart a 320g external USB drive for $75, mileage may vary. Bought two Linksys wireless music bridges for $20 a unit.

Right now I have my music on a external 250g hard drive(firewire).

May 20, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #37 of 50
I have a handfull of 40G external HDs... the smaller laptop variety. just drag/drop files using USB 2.0.

May 20, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #38 of 50
I am using an external 2.5" FireWire/USB 2.0 enclosure.
160GB of storage capacity, and 40-bit encryption for my safety.
lambda.gif

34405818rs0.jpg

May 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't accuse him of anything you cannot prove.

But to awnser your question, the best bet is RAID1. It no thought data backup. And will slightly improve read times of your library.

Everything is backed up as you use the drive, a perfect mirror image of the drive.

Just wanted to say that Raid1 isn't technically a backup solution. It does mirror your data, yes. But it's not a proper backup. If you somehow manage to accidentally delete a file on the raid, you can't restore it from the raid
smily_headphones1.gif

Nit-picking, I know, but just wanted to say that
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #41 of 50
dvds, lots of dvds for my monthly back up routine but daily back up routine is simply a mirrored raid 1 array to an external drive (obviously e-sata). Hopefully the spindles of dvds can be replaced with hddvds or bluray discs. Backing up close to a tera worth of stuff is becoming quiet a tedious task.

May 21, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #42 of 50
synctoy is so cool

i like it how you can automatically set it so it will backup your stuff daily. i feel much better knowing my music is safe.

May 21, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #43 of 50
I just use DVD's to back up my Atracs and mp3s. I got hard copies of all my music because I bought actual CD's :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back