How do you appreciate older songs from the late 1900s?
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

arch023

Head-Fier
I find most of the recordings to be quite further away(less intimate) than modern music and hence less engaging. I've tried many times to find older songs that i would appreciate. should i give it more time? I was born in the early 2000s hence in love 2000s rock but any older sounds kind of dry to me and not as emotional.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 8
I generally can't listen to anything made after 1979- and even the last few years of the 1970s were pretty wretched.

What kind of music are you talking about? Led Zeppelin studio albums are a good start. Rush, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, Boston, all great sounding albums. Many, many more like them.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 8
I generally can't listen to anything made after 1979- and even the last few years of the 1970s were pretty wretched.

What kind of music are you talking about? Led Zeppelin studio albums are a good start. Rush, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, Boston, all great sounding albums. Many, many more like them.
Yes i have been starting with all three Led Zeppelin’s albums. Ill check out the other albums you mentioned, its a good start. So far I’ve listened to abit of Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, the carpenters and Paul McCartney.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Yes i have been starting with all three Led Zeppelin’s albums. Ill check out the other albums you mentioned, its a good start. So far I’ve listened to abit of Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, the carpenters and Paul McCartney.
I think all the ones you mentioned also have between good and great recordings. The Carpenters studio work is pretty much flawless wall-of-sound. Marvin Gaye has a ton of albums but most of the ones I know are pretty good. Listen to Trouble Man if you haven't already. It was a relatively big-money production (soundtrack) and has some very good numbers on it.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 8
I think most of the classic rock/pop/jazz, etc.. I've been exposed to were from the media. From the exposure, the popular tracks from the times seeped into my head subconsciously. We are always exposed to stuff constantly, but this generation my be different because mine was television and cinema generation, they always mixed in older music probably due to the sound engineer being from older times than I. This generation is different I suppose.

And when you are in school, you run into all kinds of kids with all kinds of tastes, and you find some that are into older stuff. Highschool was like that. Groupies with different styles with different tastes. Some sported greaser style. Some were into Elvis. Some into alternative, hip-hop, gangster rap. Some into heavy and death metal. Some into punk and ska. You get exposed to a lot of different genres this way. I think a lot of this stuff were during teenage years when all the kids are trying to find themselves, which creates a rich diversity of tastes.

I find that my tastes were narrower during those years, although I was exposed to a lot of genres. I find that i'm more open to all types of music as I'm older. I think why taste expand due to accepting of various tastes due to clashes of experiences with people of various tastes. You see more from the perspective that everybody got a taste and their personal reasons behind theirs.

My suggest is, don't try to force it if you're currently not appreciating various types of stuff. Give it time. As you change, you tastes changes.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Just listen to Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix live performances on youtube. I'm also from the end of the 20th century and not even into rock but this is better than any music i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back