How do you afford your gear???
May 8, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #121 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Maybe that type of mentality is the reason for the large number of obese people in this world

For the first part of my post, yes. It doesn't help the farms that produce lower quality products (whether meat or produce) are more heavily subsidized, so that low-income families don't have as much ability to get quality food. Not to mention that those families probably don't have the time it takes to make good food for their family (since they're working two jobs and maybe going to school)--certainly there are plenty that just don't take the time.

Obesity is as much due to the typical terrible American diet as it is to the lack of exercise. There's a million things we can attribute to the worsening of both--poor city planning (streets with no sidewalks in the suburbs...!!; shopping centers too far away to walk to), larger portions at fast food places, diminishing quality at said fast food places (we should all know that they're terrible, but, as said before, there are people who just don't have time to make something). Couple this with TV, video games, and the internet, and we have plenty of attitudes to blame obesity on. Like I said before, even if people know something's not very good for them, they won't stop doing it until the quality of their lives degrades so much that they can't do what they enjoy anymore. On top of that, though, there definitely are people who, like Yami said, just don't know any better.

May 8, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #122 of 134
I don't buy stuff before I salt away a bunch of dough for my kid's college fund and my 401-K fund.

Then, I make sure my family has all the stuff they need - clothes, baseball gear, some forms of entertainment (i.e. DVDs, toys like Lego, etc.). All bills get paid, too.

After all that, whatever is left over either gets chucked into the savings account or I treat myself to something new.

May 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #123 of 134
honestly, if there are people who eat ramen EVERY SINGLE DAY, I'd say if they are so frugal on food at the expense of their health, they should eat at soup kitchens. The food they serve there tastes better and is healtheir than ramen (I volunteer there and we made shepards pie) and then its free so you can save up for your senn orpheus... Plus you don't need to do cooking and wouldn't have to waste water by boiling your ramen, and if you live in the city, you might can even walk to one and save gas money!!! (whole post is sarcastic)

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #124 of 134
In my situation having no wife and kids makes a big difference.

Let’s say you want to own a couple of really nice headphones, a high end DAC and nice swanky amp and the total price is around $4000. If you’re patient and save for a couple years and maybe make a sacrifice by giving up couple vacations, it can be easily done IMO.

The good news is that if you’re on a budget, you don’t have to send that much money to get really nice sound. A $300 headphone can sound amazing if you find the right brand that suits your personal taste.

Lastly, I want to say that the audio hobby is not really expensive compared to other hobbies. You can get away with spending much less so it’s actually relatively easy on the wallet in comparison.

Also, good sound systems still sound good and desirable after many decades. I have an old used DAC from 2001 and it still sounds awesome. High quality audio is not like TV or video technology where it gets outdated after a few years.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #125 of 134
I don’t think anyone cares. Stop digging up corpses.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #126 of 134
I used to work as software developer , I could afford the Gear I have now.

I once fabricated a story with some rocks (that my packet got stolen) and got a free pair of MDR-Z7. After that I felt bad

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #127 of 134
I buy my gear cheap mostly from accessoryjack, some times from head-fi or amazon if offer is within reach.

I sell what I dont use.

Accessory jack is reliable site and has many nice discoun

NW-ZX100 costd me 599 out of 700 dollars
NW-WM1A costed me full price, this was the only time I didn't save
IER-M7 costed me $525 out of $800
IER-Z1R costed me $1650 out of $2299

MDR-Z1R costs me full price because I forgot to tell the seller for lowered invoice and I got heavily taxed (offer was $1500 from 2299)

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #129 of 134
Used but mint condition gear. Luxury on the cheap.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #131 of 134
First you earn it

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #133 of 134
As I look at some of your equipment inventories I'm really amazed so may people have such outstanding collections. How in the hell do you guys pay for it?? Does everyone make $100k/year??

There's no way I could afford the gear I have, along with kids, mortgage, etc living here on the West Coast of Canada making $100k. Even the Mrs has to work.

I never almost never buy new and always sell stuff I don't use.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #134 of 134

Kidney.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back