How do u deal with non-Audiophiles
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #16 of 116
mine kind of gave up on yelling about what I spend money on. Just keep buying stuff, they go away eventually.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #18 of 116
They are right. You are crazy...

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 116
My mother stopped caring about it as long as I don't spend excessive amounts of cash on stuff and it doesn't sit around making a mess.

My sister stopped caring when I convinced her to replace her Sony StreetStyles with a pair of KSC-75s and she realized that I actually had some idea about what I was talking about and wasn't completely crazy.

My dad stopped caring when I pulled out my PortaPro and PA2v2 at a party and pitted it against a friend's Triport and a good deal of people present admitted that my combo sounded either as good or better than the Triport (My dad included).

Anybody else who tries to tell me I'm crazy, I just ignore them because their opinion doesn't really matter to me.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having a big problem.

when any of my friend sees me using my Amp they claim i am insane.

same for family.

just buying a portable amp and a desktop amp and HD555 is considered waste of money and stupidity by most of the people around me.

how do i explain clearly my hobby

how do u guys deal with such issues?

I don't deal with with the issues, I ignore them. What others think is not my problem, it's their problem. If they get obnoxious about it, and some can, I just smile and change the subject. If they are extremely obnoxious and won't let it go, I just remove myself from their presence or usher them out the door.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 116
any hobby that anyone is into will seem silly to others who do not follow that hobby.

it is a waste of money. anything that takes money, time and effort away from bringing up a person or character or contributing to education or perfecting of the soul is not worthwhile endevour.

that said, we all have hobbies. we 'audiophiles' will not understand other hobbies. i would not mention some of the hobbies i am interested in for fear of being ridiculed on this board. who cares what 'non audiophiles' think as they will have hobbies that undoubtedly we find silly and a waste of money.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 116
I have friends who wear $400 sunglasses and $300 pairs of jeans so they don't have **** on me
biggrin.gif

My roommates on the other hand have all heard my equipment at one point or another, one even got to borrow my beloved D2000's for a couple of hours. So simply showing them what they've been missing is one way to do it.

But seriously, to each his own; everyone likes spending their money on different things. Some people like getting a turbo or spoiler for their car, others like upgrading their audio equipment. As audiophiles we have to remember to respect other people's hobbies, even if we do not understand them.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 116
If my parents notice some new piece of equipment, I just say, "What, that old thing? I've had that forever..." For some reason they're more receptive to the idea that I spent a lot of money a long time ago than recently.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #28 of 116
cwell2112 wrote:

Quote:

If my parents notice some new piece of equipment, I just say, "What, that old thing? I've had that forever..." For some reason they're more receptive to the idea that I spent a lot of money a long time ago than recently.

Or, I got it on sale or I got it on Ebay for a song. The that I've had it forever line is brilliant. Well done.

Cheers!

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 116
^ LOL.

More seriously, the problem is that "non-audiophiles" are right, for the most part. None of us really need an amp. We don't need n-hundred dollar headphones. Even the converts among us will admit, I think, that the JVC Marshmallows or the KSC75s or the HD201s are fine. So, I don't think trying to justify our expenditure is a wise course of action. Instead, and others have said this, point out that others' expenditure is equally unjustifiable. How much for that handbag? You can make a decent messenger bag for $5. How much for that meal at a posh restaurant? You can cook your own for $10. And some bags get used less than our headphones. And meals are a one-off deal. Eat and poop. So there.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #30 of 116
Simple, tell them that if you were to go with a speaker system, not only would you spend 5x more, but you would also disturb them with your music all the time and ask them to fund part of your purchases for being so considerate to their feelings.

Seriously though, just say the simple truth - you like to listen to music a proper setup sounds a lot better than average consumer crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back