How do the CCA CRA stack up against the competition ?
Jan 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

petrichorchair

New Head-Fier
I’m thinking of buying some IEMS under 45$

The bl 03 apparently need new buds and cable and in total they come to 50$

Tin t2s are over 50$ with the cable

That leaves the e1000, CCA CRA and the tanchjim Tanya and moondrop quarks.

From what I understand, the CCA CRA beats them all.

I mostly listen to rock, blues, country rock, Latin pop and ambient music with vocals (think nier automata and hollow knights soundtrack)

Thanks

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 36
Nope, researching and considering them like you. I had been following the CRA excitement.

Personally I don't order anything, especially electronics, during Mercury retrograde (Jan. 13 - Feb. 3 2022). Superstitious or not, I've seen too many orders and gadgets go kerflooey under Mercury retrograde.

https://www.almanac.com/content/mercury-retrograde-dates

There may be Chinese New Year sales as February begins, too. 新年快乐

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 36
I own them and they are a no brainer for $20.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 36
I’m thinking of buying some IEMS under 45$

The bl 03 apparently need new buds and cable and in total they come to 50$

Tin t2s are over 50$ with the cable

That leaves the e1000, CCA CRA and the tanchjim Tanya and moondrop quarks.

From what I understand, the CCA CRA beats them all.

I mostly listen to rock, blues, country rock, Latin pop and ambient music with vocals (think nier automata and hollow knights soundtrack)

Thanks
I am maybe a tad late on this, but "From what I understand, the CCA CRA beats them all"... mmm.

People, like always, tend to overhype so you probably ended up reading one of the many reviews from people who think these can beat some big boys (even though people don't say on what they beat what else).

I have Tanya, Quarks, BL03, E1000, and owned T2 (now t2 evo, t3, t2 plus and so on).

CRA are good for 15$ if you want something fun and with great value for money, they have lots of details for the price, a super engaging signature, a well done V-shaped set.
BUT, there are some big "BUT" that many don't even mention: there's sibilance, they can become fatiguing, they have limited imaging and instrument separation and soundstage is practically horizontal (only width/horizontal direction).

BL03 are warmer, slower in the bass, but also much more natural timbrically, less sibilant, and although less detailed they sound smoother to me with less sparkling upper treble and a richer midrange.
E1000 are more balanced overall, and much more suited to be all-rounders. They are less fatiguing as well, harder to drive, but tonally more appealing and natural when compared to the CRA; the CRA are more detailed and more fun, but less coherent and natural.
Tanya? Well, Tanya are harman-ish too, so... Less bright than CRA, more appealing tonally and timbrically wise, less fatiguing (although they also have a bit of excessive forwardness sometimes in the upper-midrange). One is very warm tho (Tanya), the other one is very bright (CRA). Both are V-shaped but when using them you can really feel they go in opposite directions in terms of tonality.
T2s are bright, but bass is lean and so is the midrange so those are natural when compared to CRA. Totally different.
Quarks? Diffuse-field-ish with slightly boosted bass. They opt for a less warm approach with more focus on being lean, far from being a V-shaped bass cannon. So totally different as well.

You cannot compare them, but among the ones you have mentioned, every of them has better soundstage depth and height for example, and every of them also has less fatiguing sound (except for T2s) with less sibilance.
So... it really depends on what you search for: the CRA are very good for the price but they are not BETTER than others, they are just good and as a good set you will still need to understand if they offer what you're searching for.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 36
I am maybe a tad late on this, but "From what I understand, the CCA CRA beats them all"... mmm.

People, like always, tend to overhype so you probably ended up reading one of the many reviews from people who think these can beat some big boys (even though people don't say on what they beat what else).

I have Tanya, Quarks, BL03, E1000, and owned T2 (now t2 evo, t3, t2 plus and so on).

CRA are good for 15$ if you want something fun and with great value for money, they have lots of details for the price, a super engaging signature, a well done V-shaped set.
BUT, there are some big "BUT" that many don't even mention: there's sibilance, they can become fatiguing, they have limited imaging and instrument separation and soundstage is practically horizontal (only width/horizontal direction).

BL03 are warmer, slower in the bass, but also much more natural timbrically, less sibilant, and although less detailed they sound smoother to me with less sparkling upper treble and a richer midrange.
E1000 are more balanced overall, and much more suited to be all-rounders. They are less fatiguing as well, harder to drive, but tonally more appealing and natural when compared to the CRA; the CRA are more detailed and more fun, but less coherent and natural.
Tanya? Well, Tanya are harman-ish too, so... Less bright than CRA, more appealing tonally and timbrically wise, less fatiguing (although they also have a bit of excessive forwardness sometimes in the upper-midrange). One is very warm tho (Tanya), the other one is very bright (CRA). Both are V-shaped but when using them you can really feel they go in opposite directions in terms of tonality.
T2s are bright, but bass is lean and so is the midrange so those are natural when compared to CRA. Totally different.
Quarks? Diffuse-field-ish with slightly boosted bass. They opt for a less warm approach with more focus on being lean, far from being a V-shaped bass cannon. So totally different as well.

You cannot compare them, but among the ones you have mentioned, every of them has better soundstage depth and height for example, and every of them also has less fatiguing sound (except for T2s) with less sibilance.
So... it really depends on what you search for: the CRA are very good for the price but they are not BETTER than others, they are just good and as a good set you will still need to understand if they offer what you're searching for.
What is the main difference between them and the quarks ?

Also here is my post on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf )

Feb 9, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 36
I just recently received the CCA CRA in the mail, and I'm very impressed. For $15 it is a dead-set no-brainer.

I've put them on my FiiO BT lanyard, swapped in Symbio F foam tips, and I'm using them at the gym. Really like them a lot for this purpose, the weight in the bass is fantastic, isolation is good especially with the foams, can't hear much ambient noise at all.

I had BL-03, but I could never get them to fit properly, must have tried 20 different tips, so I gave them to my daughter.

CRA will never compete technically with my higher-end sets, but then I'm never taking those to the gym or anywhere else where there is risk of damage. I'll probably buy a couple more sets just to have around in case the one I've got gets wet, damaged etc...

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 36
The CCA-CRAs are getting a lot of my ear time at the moment. I love the treble extension I consider myself very sensitive to shouty and sibilant music reproduction, these are not that for me.

I can listen for hours.

YMMV and keep in mind I have used both my Sony and iPhone dongle so… maybe warmer sources?

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 36
I have the CRA since a couple of days. They are quite good. Impressive how technical and detailed they are. I don't have sibilance issue with them but the upper treble extension is very tiresome to me. After a few hours I need to stop. I tried to EQ it down but I'm not sure if I am doing it right.
The timbre has something kind of digital-ish, almost BA like? I don't know how to explain but it's not as life like as other iems can be.

The blon bl03 have a weird fit, the sound is very pleasant, organic but not so refined, a bit bloomy and blunted. perfect for casual listening.

Going back to your question, I think it depends what are you looking for but I could see myself enjoying rock music more with the BLON because of the organic warmth, while CRA would be nicer for video games OST because its more analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back