How do the AKG K550's compare to the other headphones listed in the thread?
Jun 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
Tyll feels the D2K is a better headphone, but personally I have zero interest in V-shaped phones. The music lives in the mids, man.  

I swear that 99% of all headphones have recessed mids . . . how come hardly any manufacturers make headphones with present mids . . . most headphones have at least slightly recessed mids.

EDIT: I am so glad that I changed my profile picture . . . I hated it . . . in fact I don't know why I had it for so long haha. I am changing my profile name as well . . . I hated it too as obobskivich knows (I had a thread about it trying to see if you could change your name). How long does it take for your name to change? It says my name is kingalekay and then under that it says "Formally known as kingalekay" haha.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #18 of 35
If you go through the threads on cans that are perceived to be 'mid-centric', you will find as many haters as fans. Both my RE262 and my AD900s have fantastic mids and nicely controlled treble, but neither is wildly popular on Head-Fi. I continue to maintain that the majority of Head-Fiers are basshounds, whether they admit it or not. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 35
I don't own T70p or K550 but heard them at the NYC meet a week ago driven by my Cowon A3 player and can tell you only one thing T70p have much more bass than K550. I also tried K550 with Burson 160D DAC/AMP and they still lacking bass. I didn't try T70p with Burson but Burson's owner did and said he considering selling K550 and get T70p. I'm also looking for T70p but they are so expensive right now
Edit: I perfectly know that D5000/7000 are more expensive than K550 but they are perfect example of clarity, details and good deep bass

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #21 of 35
I dont think the K550s are lacking bass, are they for bassheads, no there not, but i think they have a wonderful clean bass, not overpowering, and not underpowered, the bass is there when you need it, i have played with them for 3 days now, everybody will have a varied opinion.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
Oh that is simply terrible news! obobskivich already said that there is a bass roll off in the T 70 p's and the AKG's have LESS bass? Uh oh . . . 

That's what i heard with my own ears not read online. It's all depends on the setup. Same headphones could be a perfect match for one and terrible with another. Also some heasphones are very picky and it may take a while to find the best match while others may sound well with almost every setup. For example I tried D7000 and HD650 with 5 different setups and D7000 sounded good with all of them while HD650 were exact match for one setup and were lacking high quality bass on all others

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 35
I have had mt 550s for a few weeks now. perhaps the bass is lacking a little, or perhaps the bass is more acurate. mine are powered by a fiio e17. I find if i put the bass up on the amp one click that the bass is good. some other cans that i have tried seem to have "better" bass, perhaps bigger sounding. but i can tend to be a bit lose.I am very happy with the acuracy of the 550s.

Ps I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music (no classical here) and while the bass may noot seem as loud I am enjoying hearing all the detail.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 35
I do listen to classical and it perfectly shows that K550 lacking deep high quality bass violins, cellos trumpets for example need or for example Jimmy Hendricks gitar

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:
I have had mt 550s for a few weeks now. perhaps the bass is lacking a little, or perhaps the bass is more acurate. mine are powered by a fiio e17. I find if i put the bass up on the amp one click that the bass is good. some other cans that i have tried seem to have "better" bass, perhaps bigger sounding. but i can tend to be a bit lose.I am very happy with the acuracy of the 550s.

Ps I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music (no classical here) and while the bass may noot seem as loud I am enjoying hearing all the detail.

No Classical?! 
eek.gif
 Just kidding, just kidding haha.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:
I do listen to classical and it perfectly shows that K550 lacking deep high quality bass violins, cellos trumpets for example need or for example Jimmy Hendricks gitar

what do you mean by lacks deep bass? its not uncommon for some of the music i like to hit around 30-40hz, thats pretty deep, i can hear that on my cans... do you mean its not loud enough? not clear enough? roll off? how "deep" can a guitar go?

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

If thats how you hear them, then maybe there not the headphones for you.  To me i hear deep refined bass on them, good mids and highs, but there is no perfect headphone, its all in the ear of the beholder, everybodys ears hear differently, whats great to one, maybe lacking to another, its all personel preference.  I dont believe there is a perfect headphone , i think we will all find something wrong with all them, and will keep trying to find that perfect set of cans, which we may never find.  Maybe your a basshead and dont even know it.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

I don't feel that there's at all a lack of bass extension with the K550.  In fact, after doing a bit more comparing I'd confidently say that it conveys more information down low than my HD600; a headphone that I don't see many complaints about.  After finding the correct seal, (which I honestly didn't think I was missing until I did a bit of physical tinkering) it's an impressive 'phone from top to bottom... and I'm someone who loves to nitpick, complain, criticize, and concoct reasons to "upgrade." :wink:

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 35
I sure hope that that doesn't mean the K550's have a bass rolloff I don't like it when headphone manufacturers try and trick you into thinking that their headphones have more clarity/more detail when in reality they just have a bass rolloff.

If someone say it has electrostat-like presentation. Somewhat I agreed. 

Quote:
Tyll feels the D2K is a better headphone, but personally I have zero interest in V-shaped phones. The music lives in the mids, man.  

So if you have orchestra performance music, classical performance or instrumental performance . This is where K550 excels than D2000. 

The moral is : buy them all 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back