How do the AKG K550's compare to the other headphones listed in the thread?
Jun 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

KingOfTheWild

Formerly known as kingalekay.
Hello, I would like to know how the AKG K550's compare to the Ultrasone Signature Pro's and the Beyerdynamic T 70 P's . I know that both of these headphones are in a completely different price range but I suspect that the K550's aren't priced more closely to these other headphones because AKG makes a lot more of them than Ultrasone makes of their SP's and Beyerdynamic with their T 70 P's because they are a more popular brand/more people know of them so they get more business and thus they are able to price them how they do because they are produced on a massive scale (or at least more of a massive scale than these other two headphones). Here is an interesting question . . . how much do you all think the K550's would be priced at (MSRP) if either Ultrasone or Beyerdynamic made them?

EDIT: By the way, can anyone tell me if the Beyer T 70 p's have a bass rolloff like I hear the Beyerdynamic T 5 p's do?

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 35
I'm not sure on the whole SRP question - mark-up is a reality though (and should be considered). Ultrasone are known for making very expensive flagships (back to the days of the Edition 7), but it's hard to say (without access to distributor pricing and manufacturer cost lists) what the mark-up looks like for those three. You're probably not far from the truth though.

I can tell you the T70 is one of the brightest headphones I've ever heard, and I really didn't care for that; they also didn't have a ton of bass. No thoughts or experiences with the Signature Pro or K550, but from what I've read (including from Ultrasone), the Signature Pro is supposed to be either a re-release of the Edition 9, or at least heavily based upon the Edition 9 - and the Edition 9 was well received (albeit relatively rare, since it was a limited production) as a mobile headphone some years ago. I'm guessing it probably sits at least somewhat apart from the others. "Warm" is often associated with the Signature Pro.

What exactly are you looking for?

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 35
Thanks for the response . . . I want a relatively flat frequency response . . . that is the main thing. Also, I would be using the K550's and the Signature Pro's for computer use only as the cords on both are much too long for using them as portables (even though they are both meant for portable use). Haha yeah I've gotten into the habit of thinking like "oh this product is more expensive than this product . . . it must be better/higher quality" but then I have to stop and think about mark-up.

EDIT: I guess I better scratch off the Beyer T 70 p's from my list of possible future purchasing decisions then.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the response . . . I want a relatively flat frequency response . . . that is the main thing. Also, I would be using the K550's and the Signature Pro's for computer use only as the cords on both are much too long for using them as portables (even though they are both meant for portable use). Haha yeah I've gotten into the habit of thinking like "oh this product is more expensive than this product . . . it must be better/higher quality" but then I have to stop and think about mark-up.

A great mark-up example, and I'm not trying to condemn anything here, would be the ATH-W1000X. I have no idea what their actual unit cost is, and I've never owned them, but I have watched their pricing dance from SRP at around $800 to a low of around $375 sometime last year. You cannot tell me that the retailer was selling them at an absolute loss, but the price did rebound into the mid 500s eventually. The Beyer T70 has done a similar thing. The SRP is around $700 and they've fallen like a rock to around $400. So there's at least a few hundred dollars of that price tag that you know is all padding. That doesn't mean they're good or bad, it's just an observation. For all I know the W1000X could be $374 unit cost - or $3.74. I don't think that should change whether or not you like them, per se, it's just a matter of not overpaying if you can avoid it.

Now, onto your broader question. Flat frequency response. The T70 will not do this. And based on my experience with other Ultrasone models, the Signature Pro will not do this either (but they might come much closer). The K550, I don't know. The InnerFidelity review spoke positively of them though. However, if you're really considering $1200+ for the Signature Pro, and you're talking about desktop, indoor use, any reason you aren't looking at Koss or STAX electrostats?

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 35
I know that Ultrasones have a reputation as being colored headphones but I have been paying attention to the Signature Pro thread for quite a while and people are saying that they are surprised because these headphones are actually relatively neutral.

The reason why I am not considering electrostats is because I would be using whatever headphones I got with a laptop . . . I said that the Sig Pro's and the K550's weren't good portables because they aren't good for an iPod (for example) that is in your pocket because you would be tripping all over the slack that would be hanging to the ground. But I would bring them with me to places for use with a laptop.

EDIT: Yeah I am also waiting to hear more about the new Denon flagship headphones (despite what I think of how they look).

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 35
I know that Ultrasones have a reputation as being colored headphones but I have been paying attention to the Signature Pro thread for quite a while and people are saying that they are surprised because these headphones are actually relatively neutral.

The reason why I am not considering electrostats is because I would be using whatever headphones I got with a laptop . . . I said that the Sig Pro's and the K550's weren't good portables because they aren't good for an iPod (for example) that is in your pocket because you would be tripping all over the slack that would be hanging to the ground. But I would bring them with me to places for use with a laptop.

EDIT: Yeah I am also waiting to hear more about the new Denon flagship headphones (despite what I think of how they look).

The 'stats would include their own amplifier - so it becomes a non-question. But if you're thinking transportable, open-back is a no-no. I'd also probably consider some sort of amplification for your laptop depending on what it's audio abilities are - just because you get into Low Z and Low V doesn't mean your current requirements magically vanish. Just a suggestion.

Really I'd just try out something in a price-range that you can afford that you can get with a return policy; the K550 shouldn't be a problem in that regard (HeadRoom and Amazon should sell them; Wal-mart might (it is amazing how many products Wal-mart sells online)). I think HeadRoom has the SigPro also. With Ultrasone I would suggest personally trying them before making up your mind; a lot like Grado cans, they're polarizing. I'd also consider the Kenwood K1000 (a can that I have heard, owned, etc, and have nothing but good things to say about; they're very balanced sounding, isolate fairly well, and are super comfortable apart from the weight/heat concerns associated with any large, full-size, closed-back, pleather/leather padded can). Downside is they're non-returnable via AC.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 35
Yeah that's what I think I'll do is get a hold of the AKG's and try them before I try any super expensive cans (like the Signature Pro's) and I have never actually looked into those Kenwood headphones that you recommended so I will do that. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Yeah, I also really want to get my hands on a pair of wooden headphones eventually . . . I've never had a pair before. I don't want a pair of headphones from Denon's current line because they are colored headphones and because they had some problems but I loved how they looked . . . elegant and classy . . . but now in the new flagship Denon doesn't have much wood and what wood there is is covered by metal.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 35
Yeah that's what I think I'll do is get a hold of the AKG's and try them before I try any super expensive cans (like the Signature Pro's) and I have never actually looked into those Kenwood headphones that you recommended so I will do that. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Yeah, I also really want to get my hands on a pair of wooden headphones eventually . . . I've never had a pair before. I don't want a pair of headphones from Denon's current line because they are colored headphones and because they had some problems but I loved how they looked . . . elegant and classy . . . but now in the new flagship Denon doesn't have much wood and what wood there is is covered by metal.

While wooden headphones look neat, I cannot think of a set that is neither very colored nor exorbitantly expensive for what it is. Not saying I have tried all woodies ever made though. :xf_eek:

What's the issue with Denon's current line-up?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 35
Oh I have never had experience with Denons before but I have heard that they have hinge issues and some other stuff (I can't remember all the complaints).

EDIT: This is a two way conversation between us haha . . . I could have just sent you a private message!

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 35
The hinge issues I think are exaggerated in terms of their prevalence - I had my pair for a few years and never had an issue, and there's plenty of other members with similar experiences. There are a few sets that've been "handled with care" by United Parcel Smashers and end up in a few pieces, but I think by and large it's not as big of a problem as say, the TriPort yolks breaking.

They're relatively un-colored headphones inasmuch as a somewhat bassy and somewhat v-curved headphone can be. They do a lot of things right as a result, but the top-end might be a bit aggressive for some people's tastes (that was my biggest complaint). According to Tyll's recent write-up, the newer production models have become more consistent and improved on the sound a bit; I'd say if you're really interested, and want a woodie, grab a D5000 while you can. They don't isolate super well, and won't stand up to mobile (ab)use, but the Denon IEMs are relatively inexpensive and similar enough imho (and while I don't have my Denon cans any longer, I still use my C751s often). And will take more of a beating.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 35
Im a new here and dont claim to know a whole lot, im learing, i currently own the AKG 550s, i guess they have grown on me, i have to say they sound really really good, the problem i see with them is the seal and fit, you need a big head, small head they will fall off, so i say if there a good fit on you. I would not buy them without trying them first for a good fit, but if you get a good fit there well worth a serious look.  I just got thru listening to Rolling Stones Love in Vain, it has great accustic, good drums, a little bit of everything, and it was so good i thought i was in the studio with them.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:
The hinge issues I think are exaggerated in terms of their prevalence - I had my pair for a few years and never had an issue, and there's plenty of other members with similar experiences. There are a few sets that've been "handled with care" by United Parcel Smashers and end up in a few pieces, but I think by and large it's not as big of a problem as say, the TriPort yolks breaking.
They're relatively un-colored headphones inasmuch as a somewhat bassy and somewhat v-curved headphone can be. They do a lot of things right as a result, but the top-end might be a bit aggressive for some people's tastes (that was my biggest complaint). According to Tyll's recent write-up, the newer production models have become more consistent and improved on the sound a bit; I'd say if you're really interested, and want a woodie, grab a D5000 while you can. They don't isolate super well, and won't stand up to mobile (ab)use, but the Denon IEMs are relatively inexpensive and similar enough imho (and while I don't have my Denon cans any longer, I still use my C751s often). And will take more of a beating.

Hmm if the problems really aren't that bad then I might consider buying a pair of headphones from Denons current line-up . . . but I know that I can't put enough money together for a pair before the new line-up comes and replaces the current one. I will have to buy a pair used off the For Sale section of the forum . . . I won't buy a used pair anywhere else . . . I have a lot of trust that the folks on head-fi would take care of their headphones. And thanks for the advice on IEM's but I don't do IEM's . . . only full-size headphones for me.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 35
IMHO
dont know anything about ultrasone except weird metallic sounding Zino. 
usually beyerdynamic high-end had elektrostat-like soundsig (focus heavily on details) and K550 following that path, with more polite-mainstream approach. These two brand competes well. But beyerdynamic tend to have its own class with premium tags.
We all can say for $300 AKG really doing terrific job. Teslas cost much much more than this

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:
Im a new here and dont claim to know a whole lot, im learing, i currently own the AKG 550s, i guess they have grown on me, i have to say they sound really really good, the problem i see with them is the seal and fit, you need a big head, small head they will fall off, so i say if there a good fit on you. I would not buy them without trying them first for a good fit, but if you get a good fit there well worth a serious look.  I just got thru listening to Rolling Stones Love in Vain, it has great accustic, good drums, a little bit of everything, and it was so good i thought i was in the studio with them.

Thanks for the tip on these headphones.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
IMHO
dont know anything about ultrasone except weird metallic sounding Zino. 
usually beyerdynamic high-end had elektrostat-like soundsig (focus heavily on details) and K550 following that path, with more polite-mainstream approach. These two brand competes well. But beyerdynamic tend to have its own class with premium tags.
We all can say for $300 AKG really doing terrific job. Teslas cost much much more than this

I sure hope that that doesn't mean the K550's have a bass rolloff I don't like it when headphone manufacturers try and trick you into thinking that their headphones have more clarity/more detail when in reality they just have a bass rolloff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back