How do the AKG K501 compare to the Senn HD580?
Nov 1, 2002 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
Just got the AKG K501 and JMT built META42 and was floored by the amazing sound
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
, especially the soundstage. Sound just seem to come from all directions and I'm hearing so much details that I haven't heard before with my Koss PortaPro. The Senn HD580 are also on their way to me and just wondering how its soundstage compare to the AKG K501? How are the bass on the 580 compare to the K501, alot stronger? Anything else that the Senn 580 do better/worse than the AKG K501? Thanks for any input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Do this search:
HD600 AND veiled AND K501 AND bass

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 7
When you listen to comments about these two HP's be sure and factor in what amp was being used. IMO both of them need a good amp to truly shine. The 600 seemed more open whereas with no or lesser amps you always had the feeling that even though sound great there was something missing. When I was able to audition the 600's with the Stephan Art and Clou cables they even had more to give.

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 7
I own both. Here's my 2 cents:

The 580 sounds better out of a low powered source (like a CHA47) because it still has some bass; however, that being said, they tend to sound "veiled," like someone has put a screen over them or something unless (1) they are exceptionally well powered or (2) you replace the stock cable with something better (I use the Equinox).

The 501 needs alot of juice to really sound full. They sound nice with lower powered amps, but a little too polite for my tastes in this case.

Basically, my impression is that the senns sound a little bass and mid heavy unless powered right, and the 501s sound a little bassless unless powered right. The qualifier for me, though, is the cable. With a better cable, the 580 sound better to me through even low powered sources.

These impressions are using the Corda HA-1, the MaxedOut Meta, the Meta42 portable, and the CHA47.

Nov 1, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm not really concerned about the bass issue. To me the 501 has almost enough bass for me, that's why I decided to try out the 580 to get that little extra bass. The soundstage on the 501 is exceptional when powered by the META42, makes me want to listen to them more and more without gettting tired. I also have the Beyer DT250/250 which I'm selling because I prefer open headphones. They sound too closed in compared to the 501, but the bass is quite sweet on them. Also, does the 580 sound significantly better with the cable upgrade?

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 7
Xeno...

...you will get that little extra bass, and not just a bit of it. But if the balance wasn't tilted exactly to the opposite side compared to the AKG, they both were'nt that different as they actually appear. The HD 580/600's soundstage is almost that impressive, the mids are smooth and quite neutral, and the treble is delicate, although not 100% flat, but nevertheless sounds very natural and transparent to my ears, just with a bit less of an edge than the K 501 (or the Grado SR 325, e.g.), but a bit more elegant, on the other hand. Admittedly this applies to an HD 600 with replacement cable and without the foam pads.

Despite their different sonic balance, they suit best similar music: classical, jazz, acoustic instruments in general..., but basically they're very versatile in this regard. Just one reservation: the K 501 doesn't like lean, bass-shy recordings – at least with my setup. And I imagine that it wouldn't bring to bear hip-hop and the like (I never tried it).

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back