how do PIMETA compete against more recent amps
Feb 5, 2009 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

andychen

500+ Head-Fier
I got a pimeta a while ago and recently started to change its case and get a better power supply. I did some comparison between pimeta using a crappy power supply and original master amp, and found they sound quite similar to my ears except that original master amp has a slightly more punchy and deep bass. This did not surprise me since they were priced similarly. I have DV336i as the tube amp for me, but I did not intend to compare a SS amp to a tube amp.

Now I am just curious and trying to find info about how pimeta compares against some recent SS amps like little dot MKV, but I have seen fewer and fewer posts about pimeta since 2007. I know many members here still have pimeta and probably also own some more expensive SS amps, so I'd like to know some opinions.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 6
I got a pimeta built my misterX and got a Canamp later on... Quite big difference in sound signature but it took a while to convince myself that the Heed was actually better. It has more body goes deeper but was not as punchy as the Pimeta instead.

I haven´t heard the pimeta for a year or so this make me want to try it again
smily_headphones1.gif
. But well I wasn´t by any means blown away by the Heed in comparison. Hopefully the Pimeta will stink now though lol

I will come back.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 6
my pimeta has :
Elna Cerafine PSU caps
Dual stacked BUF634
AD8610 opamps

I will start to add something little by little, but the shipping of these online sellers really takes a long time these days.

I ask this questions because after trying a few amps, I come to realize that different amp does not sound as different as claimed by many here. I once compared two tubes amps, little dot MKII and music fidelity x-can V2 with HD650 and K701. X-can sounded a little bright on highs, but overall they sound so similar to me. I know my ears are not trained, but I could easily hear the difference between interconnects. that's why I seriously doubt MKV sounds much better than pimeta. Of course there is also this synergy thing, but I don't have may phones to play with.

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a portable pimeta built by rockhopper. I dont have the full spec as to opamps or parts, I bought it from him almost 3 years ago, it is biased to class A.

IMO it is pretty darn good. Funny thing was, I never listened to it much in the past, I liked it them but I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it, I few months ago I decided to do a burn in so I plugged it in for a few days and things improved quite a bit. I am now a firm believer in burn-in periods.

My other amp is a Corda Move.
The Pimeta is darker and more laid back. The sound just feels relaxed and non fatiguing. I think it is the more neutral of the two. The move is brighter and very detailed. I'd give a slight notch to the move in the detail dept (slight). My wife is a detail freak so now she listens to the Grados with the move, and I am very happy with the Senn 580 or ER4P with the pimeta. But I enjoy the move as well.

There is a big craze over the Mini3. I colleague of mine has one (misterX) and we did a comparison. Both of us agreed the pimeta was better.

Funny note about the move, it is really a fantastic amp. Detailed, defined, crossfeed is great. But it is such a great amp it punches into your head "this is good stuff - wonder what Meyer has next up - got to upgrade". With the pimeta I feel I am all set
wink.gif

In both cases btw, the source made a much bigger deal than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back