how do IE8 respond to amp such as the Voyager
Jun 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dippyboy_87

100+ Head-Fier
Will the sansa clip + Graham Slee Voyager make a significantly better source for the IE8 than any other standalone DAP that u would recommend? Or the money be better spent on a good DAP or another iem?

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 14
I am a GSP fan, but I have to say the IE8's do well on their own. I carry the Voyager much less now than a few months ago. The custom sleeves from ACS made the unamped IE8s much better to me.
Nearly all portable DAPs can be improved with a discrete amp, but the requirement for IEMs requiring one is reducing as the IEMs get better and the onboard amps improve.

I tend to use the Voyager more 'bedside' or in a remote office/hotel with full sized phones now.

Hope that helps.

Sceptre

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Voyager solely for use with IE8 (an IEM that do very well on their own) sounds like bit of a overkill. Unless you have other headphones you need to amp I'd advise you to reconsider and save your money.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So any good source for the IE8?? How about the N91 driving the IE8??

That's some shift, from dap+amp to mobile phone.

What exactly are you looking to achieve?

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 14
My D10 paired up with an ipod classic responds very well, but they also sound good unamped. For me the amp improved the soundstage and separation, but isn't a deal breaker with the IE8s.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 14
So it seems amping the IE8 (Voyager in this case) may not be the wisest decision. What i'm looking for is a REASONABLE source to use with the IE8. I know the IE8s got some good soundstage and bass but i was just wondering if the voyager would even widen the soundstage significantly than any standalone dap. So any good daps in this case in ur mind?? I wont compromise on soundstage.

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 14
FWIW, all 3 of the IEM's i have owned have benifited from amping.

Cx300
C452
IE7

The better the phone, the more the amping benefits.

IMHO

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 14
I have tried the IE8 with my GSV the benefits are subtle, not worth the extra money if you don't already have the GSV. IMO I found the much cheaper Nuforce Icon to be an ideal amp for the IE8, because it reduces the excess midbass without compromising anything else.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it seems amping the IE8 (Voyager in this case) may not be the wisest decision. What i'm looking for is a REASONABLE source to use with the IE8. I know the IE8s got some good soundstage and bass but i was just wondering if the voyager would even widen the soundstage significantly than any standalone dap. So any good daps in this case in ur mind?? I wont compromise on soundstage.

iRiver H120/H140 digital out -> iBasso D10 -> Sennheiser IE8

It's a bit bulky, but (to me) it's still easy portable.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalmathmtcs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D10 paired up with an ipod classic responds very well, but they also sound good unamped. For me the amp improved the soundstage and separation, but isn't a deal breaker with the IE8s.

I much prefer my IE8 with my E5 vs. straight from my Fuze. The stage is wider and the sound is more refined. When listening with my sound card with a OPA627 the sound takes another step up with greater dynamics, better bass, and an even wider stage, so to me amping does help.

I do think using a LOD to the E5 offers a greater improvement than from the HP out to the E5. And looking at the HP out specs, the Fuze/Clip doesn't have great specs IMO with 16 ohm headphones.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 14
I can tell you IE8 sound great with all my players I owned in my signature. You don`t have to worry it as IE8 is extremely easy to drive because of its high sensitivity, although I will have doubt about the performance when it being hooked up with Nokia cell phone which is not dedicated source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back