How do I use a DAC?
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Head_case

500+ Head-Fier
Numpty of the year award must come here!

Well I got a cheap Musical Fidelity X-DAC thinking that this is what I need.

I'm planning to transcribe my vinyl LP music to either mini-disc or computer, and somehow I thought I needed this.

When I got it, I can only see two digital inputs, and two analogue outputs. Hmmm. So it's not going to convert analogue vinyl to digital
frown.gif

Then I looked up some specs, and I see, that if you plug a mini-disc in via the Toslink, it won't work????

Will a DAC only work for CD players, and not other digital sources then?

I guess I'll have a separate question of what hardware I need to convert vinyl LP ---> digital later.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 25
DAC is short for Digital to Analog Converter. That alone should tell you what it is used for...
Meaning it is used to convert a digital audio signal (from CD, DVD, computer, DAP, ...) into an analog signal you feed into an amplifier. Vinyl is already analog, so no need to convert.

What you are looking for is an ADC - Analog to Digital Converter.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 25
I found one already!
biggrin.gif

furutech.jpg

Now all I need to do is afford one....

Thanks guys. I guess you're telling me my DAC is useless for my purposes?

Is there anything I can use this DAC for then? I have a Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player (so it prob. won't benefit from the X-DAC converter).

Is the computer/laptop output ---> amp the only use for it?

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the suggestion Uncle.

I know the Ion USB quite well - it's really no good for audiophile conversion, being a budget thing with cheap electronics inside. They are very popular though.

Here's the best USB/Vinyl convertor I could find:

080325CM-02.jpg

Price - $499 (or around £350). It also plays vinyl.

It seems extravagant to buy a ADC converter costing nearly the same, although it claims to do a better job. Guess no one will ever have reviewed either here.

So there's no other use for a DAC then?

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 25
There are uses for a DAC, but I'm not sure whether you will have a use for one.

Any time you listen to a digital source (file on computer, CD audio, DVD audio, etc.) the signal must be converted from digital to analog (since we can't hear in digital).

Most devices have some form of DAC in them (CD players, PC sound cards), but a lot of them are pretty lousy. As long as this device also has a way of passing that digital signal (through COAX digital, optical, or USB), you can connect your own DAC to the device and get significantly better quality sound.

With low quality headphones or speakers, though, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 25
Or you could just get a decent soundcard and record that way.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, not for this specific task.
You can always use it to hook the computer up to your headphone or speaker system though.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 25
You could sell the DAC to me...?
smily_headphones1.gif
PM me if you're interested.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 25
Thanks unl3a5h2d - and what a name to type out!
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW - I've found out all about this particular Musical Fidelity X-DAC. It's reviewed here: this article gives the ins and outs for what it's used for.

Basically it describes low-budget CD players as the main stable for DACs. I have a 24 bit Burr CD player which won't really benefit. I guess the computer could. Now to find out if Mini-Disc players can too....

Article | Musical Fidelity X-DAC | Page*149 - May*1997 - Gramophone Archive

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 25
If you want to copy your vinyl to digital, all you need is a good turn table, RIAA preamp and a quality recording card.
You will also need software and the time it will take to digitize them and add any effects you think they will need such as amplification, noise removal, compression and or limiting.
Hope this helps.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion Uncle.

I know the Ion USB quite well - it's really no good for audiophile conversion, being a budget thing with cheap electronics inside. They are very popular though.

Here's the best USB/Vinyl convertor I could find:

080325CM-02.jpg

Price - $499 (or around £350). It also plays vinyl.

It seems extravagant to buy a ADC converter costing nearly the same, although it claims to do a better job. Guess no one will ever have reviewed either here.

Dang this looks good !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 25
Use a turntable, receiver (for its phono preamp) and a soundcard for your ADC. Shouldn't cost more than $100 total.

And that's assuming you don't have any of the above items, which you probably do. A soundcard with analog input is all you need.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are uses for a DAC, but I'm not sure whether you will have a use for one.

Any time you listen to a digital source (file on computer, CD audio, DVD audio, etc.) the signal must be converted from digital to analog (since we can't hear in digital).

Most devices have some form of DAC in them (CD players, PC sound cards), but a lot of them are pretty lousy. As long as this device also has a way of passing that digital signal (through COAX digital, optical, or USB), you can connect your own DAC to the device and get significantly better quality sound.

With low quality headphones or speakers, though, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I'm currently using my laptop and the headphone out to my amp and headphones. If I use a DAC to hopefully improve the sound, is this like a line out from the laptop or is its volume control still operative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back