How do I use a DAC?
Feb 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using my laptop and the headphone out to my amp and headphones. If I use a DAC to hopefully improve the sound, is this like a line out from the laptop or is its volume control still operative?

Yeah, sort of.
The DAC provide an analog line-out level, which you can then feed into your amplifier.
Your laptops volume control most likely work as well, as it operate on the digital level. Although you may want to keep it at 100% to not degrade the sound quality.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use a turntable, receiver (for its phono preamp) and a soundcard for your ADC. Shouldn't cost more than $100 total.

And that's assuming you don't have any of the above items, which you probably do. A soundcard with analog input is all you need.

Turntable ----> Yes!

Receiver ----> Wot's that? A radio tuner?

Phono pre-amp ---> Yes!

Soundcard ---> Wot's that?

I'm half way there, huh?!!!

What would a soundcard with analogue inputs look like?

This seems like a lot of hassle to get vinyl ---> digital format arrgh! How come everyone except me seems to be doing it so easily?!

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang this looks good !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it is. I'm hankering after one of these, than one of these 'magical boxes' that do ADC; DAC; but no ACDC performing tricks
frown.gif

it comes in black too
smily_headphones1.gif

vestax_guber-cm-02-usb-turntabl.jpg

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turntable ----> Yes!

Receiver ----> Wot's that? A radio tuner?

Phono pre-amp ---> Yes!

Soundcard ---> Wot's that?

I'm half way there, huh?!!!

What would a soundcard with analogue inputs look like?

This seems like a lot of hassle to get vinyl ---> digital format arrgh! How come everyone except me seems to be doing it so easily?!

receiver is an all in one Amp, Preamp, and Tuner. In your case, it might not be required. If you have a dedicated phono preamp you can run that into your soundcard

A soundcard is your input/output audio stage on your computer. It has DACs, processors, as well as line stages.

Your simplest solution is a USB phono preamp, such as the NAD PP3 unit. NAD Electronics :: PP-3 Digital Phono Preamplifier
These sell for $180 usd. These also can hook into a HIFI system to playback vinyl without a phono preamp.

Hope I didnt confuse you

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 25
Hey thanks Colddusta!
smily_headphones1.gif

Clarifying digital things is enough to confuse me (I Luddite). Whereas I can build a website without any computer knowledge, I do it because I have to. Otherwise, I tend to need spoonfeeding info when it comes to digital things (mostly an undercurrent of feeling - resentment - that it's in the way and I have to learn about it in order to get something else done..)

Thanks for the link for the NAD. Are they an American company? I'd be surprised if they were English; the word 'nad' means something else here.

Now for the confusing bit. This is what I mean about digital:

Quote:

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING

The PP-3 phono preamp consists of a low noise discrete MC preamp followed by a low noise opamp-based RIAA MM stage incorporating a 12 dB /octave infrasonic filter to attenuate turntable “rumble” noise. The output feeds the Line Output as well as the soft clipped input of an A/D converter with USB Output. This can be connected to any PC for recording from vinyl disc to PC hard drive. (Apple Computers not supported)
PP-3 Vinyl studio

PP-3 VinylStudio Lite VinylStudio Lite is software provided free with the PP-3 to digitize records and tapes. Links to the Windows and Macintosh versions appear below. Visit the AlpineSoft website for the latest information or to upgrade to the full version.

PC Download Vinyl Studio here: PP-3 Vinyl studio for Windows
MAC Download Vinyl Studio here: PP-3 Vinyl studio for Macintosh

What use is it, if Apple Mac is not supported, yet there is a download for it?
confused.gif

I wonder which system offers the highest quality of vinyl-->digital transfer in relation to convenience?

The other problem I have, is that the large iMac is located about 10 metres away from the hi-fi. I'd have to bring it over to connect to the turntable each time I wanted to transfer a record, whereas the Vestax Guber CM-02 deck can do it with the push of a button. ...?

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #21 of 25
I think that folks in this thread are making it out to be much more expensive and difficult than it actually is.

All you need is to send a stereo analog signal into an input device on your PC. All the rest is in software.

I have one of these: Amazon.com: Behringer UCA202 U-Control Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

It's a very good budget DAC but also has stereo inputs for recording. Connect your phono preamp to the inputs on this device and you're good to go.

Use some audio recording software to capture your record playback. I did this years ago and I think I used audacity. Back then I knew next to nothing about audio and I was able to record a few vinyl albums.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

I think that folks in this thread are making it out to be much more expensive and difficult than it actually is.

Haha. So simple?! (sound of tearing hair out!)

I thought the DAC was it: digital analogue convertor; converts into digital from analogue. Turns out, that's not the way word order works
frown.gif

What does the Behrin thing plug into? I can see a USB port, but what are the four yellow connectors? Maybe they're not connectors.

I'll see if I can order this - sometimes Amazon.com doesn't permit us in the UK to order things. Never ever seen anything like this before. If it works, that'll be a great solution!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #23 of 25
They are RCA connections. You'll connect your phono preamp to the input RCAs.

Keep in mind that I never used mine for recording. I also never used it on a Mac. It's listed as Mac compatible and its primary use is recording, so logic says it should work.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 25
Amazon:

This item cannot be shipped to the address you selected.

Help?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back