How do I split my audio so i can review upcoming songs through headphones?
Sep 24, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

damienr6

New Head-Fier
I have a Dell Studio 1555 and it has two ext audio jacks but I can't seem to figure out how to get music to come out of one while I listen to an upcoming song through the other. Do I need a new sound card? If so, which one? (I don't need anything too fancy, as I only dj for swing dances.)

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Is there a virtual sound card I can use? I really don't want to use a usb type external sound card as my two usb ports I use for a mouse in one and a remote in the other. I could go for an expresscard sound card, though it's not in a best spot. Is there some kind of driver hack I can use to maybe split the 5.1 sound the computer has into two stereo signals? It seems like such a thing wouldn't be so hard to do on a newer computer, but I certainly can't do it. Is there such a thing as a pc version of "detour?"

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Your headphone outputs are physically connected per the Dell manual. It is similar to using a Y cable to split the signal to two devices.

You can use J. River Media Center (JRMC) to set up different zones for different outputs. For example, if you got a Creative ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi, you could set it for Zone 1 and your laptop's output for Zone 2. JRMC recently added many DJ features and you may want to check it out.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I've thought about the echo indigo djx (for express slot,) but I'd prefer not to shell out another $200 for my (apparently not so simple) DJ ing needs. Two people at Dell says my computer should be able to do what I want it to do with additional software, and a third said it wouldn't. Supposedly the sound card will support three separate stereo signals, but the (idt high def sound codec driver?) will only support 5.1. I tried a couple free dj programs but to no avail as far as getting a simple set up to review or cue upcoming songs in a playlist.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by damienr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've thought about the echo indigo djx (for express slot,) but I'd prefer not to shell out another $200 for my (apparently not so simple) DJ ing needs. Two people at Dell says my computer should be able to do what I want it to do with additional software, and a third said it wouldn't. Supposedly the sound card will support three separate stereo signals, but the (idt high def sound codec driver?) will only support 5.1. I tried a couple free dj programs but to no avail as far as getting a simple set up to review or cue upcoming songs in a playlist.

If your interfaces has multiple outputs which most do these days then sure you should be able to configure them seperately but it is a matter of find the software to do it properly. I am unsure what app would work for your needs.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Quite sure you need two separate sound cards, the built in one and an external one.
...then of course an audio player which can stream different audio tracks to each of them, or possibly two players.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 9
According to Dell pages you have Intel HD audio onboard soundcard.
Which according to Intel pages is capable of outputting to multiple outputs at the same time.

Intel® High Definition Audio
Quote:

Consumers also want the ability to play back two different audio tracks, such as a CD and a DVD simultaneously, which can't be done using current audio solutions. Intel HD Audio features multi-streaming capabilities that give users the ability to send two or more different audio streams to different locations at the same time, from the same PC.

Then you need software that is capable of using two streams (e.g. front and rear) at the same time. This should be what DJing softwares can do.
First hit from google VIRTUAL DJ SOFTWARE - MP3 Mixing Software can do this, but is mucho expensive.
Open source Mixxx | Free Digital DJ Software is what I would try
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT:
Intel HD audio is using Realtek audio chip so if you are running realtek configuration program you are looking for screen that looks like this http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...niiif/1-17.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back