How do I set up new cans, with a dolby decoder in between cans and source?
Jan 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rav86

New Head-Fier
Ok, the source is my PS3 for games/Bluray..

Optical out going into -> Astro Mixamp Pro - 3.5 analogue going into -> Sennheiser rs 220 basestation (wireless cans)

The PS3 has no volume control.

The Astro Mixamp does have a volume control.

The Sennheiser rs 220, has TWO volume controls, 1) Dial on the back of basestation 2) Digital up/down bottom on front of basestation

(dial is only operative with an analogue input as far as I know)

Question is, how should the dials be set, which vol do I max out, and which should be used to casually increase/decrease volume?

Cheers,
Rav.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Usually what I do is leave the volume fixed farther up the chain and using the volume controller closest to the headphones for most adjustments. Does the mixamp have a LO by any chance? If so then that would mean using the LO from the mixamp, maxing out the volume on the basestation, and using the volume controller on the RS220 for adjustments.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 9
That should work also, but it would essentially be double amping. If there is any distortion in the sound or if the volume is too loud, I recommend gradually lower the volume on the mixamp instead of the base station.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Cool, i will try that out, but i've always thought it's better to crank the amp up? otherwise you get clipping? or have i totally misunderstood that?

im scared that im going to damage the headphones!

also, if i turn it up from base station, or headphones, it increases humming sound?

sorry, im a total noob!

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Ok, the source is my PS3 for games/Bluray..
Optical out going into -> Astro Mixamp Pro - 3.5 analogue going into -> Sennheiser rs 220 basestation (wireless cans)
The PS3 has no volume control.
The Astro Mixamp does have a volume control.
The Sennheiser rs 220, has TWO volume controls, 1) Dial on the back of basestation 2) Digital up/down bottom on front of basestation
(dial is only operative with an analogue input as far as I know)
Question is, how should the dials be set, which vol do I max out, and which should be used to casually increase/decrease volume?

Down the line you might think about replacing the optical /Mix-amp. setup for HDMI and a Yamaha A/V receiver.
HDMI can pass Dolby True HD and DTS HD master audio (used on Blu-ray disks), but optical can not.
And Yamaha receivers come with headphone surround sound built in.
But I'm guessing you would have to plug headphones straight into the receiver.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the reply dude..

"Silent Cinema" right? I read about this, some good reviews..

I got the mixamp today, its my first experience with dolby headphone.. v impressed! so surprised by the spacial awareness!

but the sound is a little distorted, and the humming is doing my head in..

It just needs some tweeking, just need some advice on how to set it up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back