How do I rip Sacd/Sacd Hybrid's?
Dec 14, 2007 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
How do I rip Sacd/Sacd Hybrid's so that I can listen to them on my computer?

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 31
It is impossible to rip SACDs.

First of a standart drive wont be able to read it,it`s encrypted

In theory the only way to rip an SACD that comes to my mind would be modding an SACD player to extract the digital stream and go trough a DSD compatible audio interface with the corresponding mod

Second best bet use SACD player ,convert to pcm and save digital PCM stream (or go the easy way and digitalize the analogue output ,make sure to use 24bit and atleast 88.2kHz rate)

A redbook layer on hybrid discs should be rippable in the same old fashion as a standart CDDA though

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 31
do you want the additional frequency/channels to be replicated off pysical media (disc) onto PC so you can have exactly the same sound?

or if you just want the content in stereo, simply burn the CD layer normally and convert/downmix 5.1 or whatever enhanced flavour it happens to be using to stereo

foobar 2000 special has options in preferences-->playback-->dsp manager to convert/downmix such a disc, albeit at a lower resolution than the master.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 31
The only way to do a digital rip is, as utilisateur stated, is to rip the redbook layer as if the disc were just a regular CD--to any CD or DVD drives on a PC, that's what the disc will appear to be.

I've not yet tried to rip any SACD's with my 0404 USB by running the analog outputs of my SA8001 to the inputs of the 0404 USB and encoding the audio stream at 24/88.2 or 24/96....but that is the only method I can see to derive a hi-rez PCM file. I don't think there are any PC audio devices that are configured to decode DSD streams, anyway.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....or if you just want the content in stereo, simply burn the CD layer normally and convert/downmix 5.1 or whatever enhanced flavour it happens to be using to stereo.

The CD layer on a hybrid is only stereo; surround on an SACD is encoded in DSD only.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 31
The disc I'm trying to rip is the SACD Hybrid of, Dark Side of The Moon. Also as mentioned before, I'm only trying to rip the stereo tracks. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RH Customs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The disc I'm trying to rip is the SACD Hybrid of, Dark Side of The Moon. Also as mentioned before, I'm only trying to rip the stereo tracks. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks

I ripped the same disc with no problems with my Plextor PX-230A and PlexTools Professional LE. Try using a different computer or another CD reader on the same computer.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RH Customs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

As mentioned before where?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

There are two sets of stereo tracks on the SACD hybrid of DSOTM......the CD/redbook 16 bit/44.1 kHz layer, and the hi-rez DSD stereo layer.

You can rip the CD layer, but you cannot rip the hi-rez layer. Even if you could rip the hi-rez layer, you'd be left with files in DSD format, entirely different from PCM........and I have no idea what you would use, either software or hardware, to play DSD files!

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo
You can rip the CD layer, but you cannot rip the hi-rez layer. Even if you could rip the hi-rez layer, you'd be left with files in DSD format, entirely different from PCM........

And that's Exactly what Sony wanted: no PC readability. If there's no PC readability, then there will be not MP3s, etc, etc...

You can always record it directly to the hard drive with a tool like Adobe Audition or something. Costly in time, but it gets us back to the days of recording vinyl. Interesting.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 31
I have rip many SACD hybrids to Flac or Ogg or whatever encoding w/out problem. For sure it's the cd part that gets encoded. Used successfully Easy CD-DA Extract and Dbpoweramp.

regards,

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 31
If you read the link I posted on my last post, it will explain how the 1-bit signal works. It visually resembles the analog waveform it is encoded as. Couldn't you use a recording program in your computer to record the real-time stream as you were playing it?

Call up someone from HighDefTapeTransfers.com and find out how they are doing it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 31
Ironic that you have to use a PS3 - and older ones at that - to do it.

So SACD is finally in sight of catching up with DVD-Audio, at least partially.  I don't think there's any hope of being able to burn SACDs like DVD-Audio discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back