How do I rip from CD to WAV?
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

steve1979

100+ Head-Fier
What's the best software to use to rip music from my CD's into lossless WAV files.

I need to use WAV instead of FLAC because I have a Sony A-Series Walkman which won't play FLAC.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 7
The problem with WAV is that there is no tagging standard.
As a consequence WMP and many other media players won’t write tags.
The moment you migrate the audio to another computer all the information you see in the library is lost.
My advice would be to rip to FLAC.

dbPoweramp is probably one of the best rippers there is.
You can also use it as a converter e.g. select your FLACs and convert them to WAV to use on the portable.
This gives you a well-documented (tagged) audio collection you can easily migrate to any other platform.

Another option is transcoding.
You have all in FLAC or a mixed set of formats in your library and the moment you sync to a portable, you choose the format to convert too.
The media player I’m using (J River Media Center) allows for this.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I think pretty much any audio program will do this. fre:ac is the program I use for ripping. EAC is good for super OCD people. 

Why not use lossy on a DAP? With high bit rates the difference is minimal to non-existant. It's pretty crazy to use WAVE. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Just tried out the fre:ac software with lame mp3 converter at 320 kps.  Looks like I'm loosing the album art...what's to do?
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back