How do I know if I like a 'fun' or 'analytic' sound?
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
How do I know??  I'm reading through reviews and I feel like I should really get this out of the way first.

I like a warm, full, enveloping sound.  Something that sounds like it's coming out of big speakers in a dark living room if that makes sense.  But at the same time I also like clarity and being able to hear individual instruments clearly.

So what am I??

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, the best way to tell if you like something is if you try it! Try to find some people in the area and demo some cans.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Yup, sounds like you like the Sennheiser house sound, like zmd said. But who knows? For all you know, you might like the K701 or the 325i's and the only way to really tell is to audition each one. Go try em out if you can find a hi-fi shop in your area.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Personal experience .

"Fun" is a useless audio term, btw
wink.gif

/ have fun ~

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Guess..
1. Read up on what 'fun' and 'analytic' mean. What sound they describe.
2. Listen to some of your favorite music on your favorite audio system, then decide which description fit the most.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Are you a pair of headphones?

!HAHAHAHA! That was great!
darthsmile.gif

But yeah, OP, it does sound like you just described the HD650. You should check it out sometime and see for yourself.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Having a pair of Grados never hurt nobody.

I read about someone who discovered that their ears started bleeding from the pads a while back.
wink_face.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 13

Ultrasone Pro 900's fill the quintessential definition of fun!

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Yea, pretty vague description. You really need a couple reference points somewhere in your analysis. If I were you I'd check out the Fostex T50RP impressions. Relatively cheap, fine tune the sound to your preferences through modification, learn something about various elements in driver implementation/headphones in general, and get awesome timbre/tonal balance with impressive imaging capabilities and transient response while you're at it. Sennheiser might be good, but when I place myself in your (hypothetical?) dark living room I imagine a couple beers in my belly with a little sparkle on the top end to help balance out the semi-melancholy mood. Gives my female vocalists a bit of an edge, especially with all their jazzy ensembles behind them. Just me and my two cents. I'm biased, though, 'cause I think Grado's are grotesquely colored and Senn's are zzz SNORE cans (unless you spend BIG bucks), so take what this ortho-phile says with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back