How do i improve my english?
Oct 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
Head-fi is worse than computer games.
While playing games, i can easily make myself stop playing but for head-fi, i can't. I come daily.

And since that's the case as my O level approaches, i might as well ask for some tips to improve on my english.

O level is coming and i'm still getting 8/25 for my english comprehension and i'm feeling nervous now.

Are there any last minute tips? I certainly do not want to score a d7 for English.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 31
Best way is to watch tv, and listen to radio/music.
You can mimic the tv and pick up on colloquialisms (native sayings) and simply repeat trying to understand the use of pronouns and subject adjective agreement (such as- there are two blue cans as opposed to there is one blue can).
Music is also a great tool to understand the language in a fun way.

Good luck,
Dave

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 31
I think you are a tad bit too young, but if you were older, I'd recommend that you get a "sleeping dictionary." In other words, a fluent English speaking lover.

To improve your English, you need to speak it when you can, read as much as you can (newspapers, magazines, novels, short stories), and watch movies and tv in English. It also helps if you write in English (essays, short stories), get your work corrected, and revise again and again. It's damned hard to learn English. I've been learning it for 50 plus years and I've not learned it all yet. Oh...I did go out and get myself a fluent English speaking sleeping dictionary--ended up marrying her.

Cheers!

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 31
Spend as much time as you can with people who speak English. If you have a friend who is fluent, spend as much time with your friend as you can. If there is a place, such as a hotel or restaurant, frequented by English speakers, try to go there every day. Aside from that, watch as many movies/TV shows as you can.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 31
Go and read all the featured headphone reviews. There's some serious literature,
smily_headphones1.gif
the only thing that's odd that the way to the forum has been hidden. Well, there's the url.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 31
Watch out if you look at Family Guy, That show can get you in a little trouble. Funny as hell, profound humor, up to date and very dumb at times. If that doesn't confuse you
confused_face(1).gif
?

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 31
Watching movies and listening to music in French helped me speak French better, so I'm sure it would work well with English too.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 31
Go (study) abroad. I was in an exchange week two years ago from school. I stayed at Georgia's (my Italian exchange partner) for a full week. The first hour is just really strange. It can be tough to communicate in a language that's not yours but after some hours there's really nothing to it.
Couple of months ago it was the other way around. A friend of a friend brought his Canadian (Can you say 'about', lol) exchange partner and after some time everybody started speaking English. In the first minutes however, nobody felt like talking in another language. But then again, English looks a lot like Dutch..

Anyway, my point is that there's a big difference between 'knowing' a language and communicating with it. If you just feel confident enough to communicate, the language will follow and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 31
Talk to people frequently, watch TV and movies, but also read a ton. I'm a native speaker of English, but I'm still obsessive about improving. The only way for me to do that is by reading.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 31
It's a bit late to go study abroad. Anyhow - being an ex-colony - the standard of English in Singapore is fairly high already.

My advice is to read, read and read. It doesn't really matter what you read - headphone reviews are good (that might be dangerous!!). In Uni, I had a friend who would spend hours reading my collection of Spider Man comix - I said "I didn;t realize you're a spidey fan" he said "no I'm just learning English"

Singapore public libraries are really good too, so you could pick up books there. Recently I bought a couple of good ones at Borders 40% off for the Jeremy Clarkson Omnibus, and The book of General Ignorance by John Lloyd.

Oh, and get Lyrics Plugin and follow song lyrics.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk to people frequently, watch TV and movies, but also read a ton. I'm a native speaker of English, but I'm still obsessive about improving. The only way for me to do that is by reading.

More likely than not many foreigners have better grammar than the native speakers, except those who are not Americans
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and get Lyrics Plugin and follow song lyrics.

X2. I use 'Lyric Show' in Foobar (you'll need colums_ui for that). Also, if you use Firefox, you can download an English dictionary.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 31
Also, if you are posting here and are not sure if one way of saying something is better than another just write out both and then ask which one is better. These forums seem to have a fully-functioning grammar help squad working 24/7 for your convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back