How do I connect my Ipod to my system?
Nov 2, 2006 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

Let's say my system is as follows:

CEC595 ---> AT-DHA3000

The DHA3000 is a DAC/AMP combo so it only has digital inputs. The CEC595 has coax and opt outs so I'm fine there.

So, CD's are covered but what about my nano? I'd prefer not to have to rip everything to CD's. Is there some kind of line out that I can buy that will terminate into something that I can plug into the CD player of the DAC/AMP? Would that even work to send the signal like that?

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I wasn't familiar with your amp, so I just pulled up the specs. Very interesting- no analog inputs!

So you'd have to buy something with an ADC (analog/digital converter) since the iPod line out is analog. What you'd end up doing is going digital->analog->digital->analog from the iPod to your headphones. I wouldn't recommend it. You're going to lose something in the multiple conversions and it probably won't sound as good as just going digital->analog.

You must have a computer if you're posting here and loading songs onto your Nano. If you have a newer Mac, it has an optical out. Run that to the optical in on your amp. If you have a PC, get a soundcard (e.g. the Chaintech AV710) with a digital out and run that to your amp. You could also use something like a Squeezebox or a Roku Soundbridge to get the music to your amp. I've seen the lower-end Rokus down around $100 on eBay, so the cost isn't that bad.

Yeah, I know it's probably not as convenient as sitting there with your iPod and selecting music, but you will be able to use iTunes, Foobar, Amarok, et al. to serve your digital files. You won't have to rip anything onto discs. Also, think about how you'd be able to listen to Internet radio stations and other sources.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly the information I needed and you are most appreciated.

I will think about what I am going to do and will post again after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back