How different do the A900X sound compared to the open AD900X? What closed pair should I get to compliment the AD900Xs?
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yanoflies

New Head-Fier
I've already ordered my AD900X last month, and it's been delayed so I have to wait till the end of the month before it ... ships.

But I want a closed pair to compliment it. I kinda want the A900X (so to have both hehe), but I just want to know how different they sound before I dig in. I'd prefer a more 'fun' pair so that I could use them when a. I need isolation b. I want to game or watch anime/movies; is this the case?

If not, what should I consider? What about the M50s? How do they compare? They are considerably cheaper.

I'll be listening from my Xonar DGX and iPod Classic 6G. Considering buying the FiiO E12 amp.

I live in Sydney, Australia, so something I can buy here with a budget of <$170. I can't buy both an other pair of phones and an amp at the same time so I'm either getting the FiiO E12 or the closed phones. Decisions, decisions. Should I get the amp first or the closed headphones? 

EDIT: While I'm here, are cheap 3.5mm male to male cable alright? I'll need one for the E12. Like this one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Audio-Jack-Plug-cable-Male-to-Male-M-M-/320668727373?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4aa958784d&_uhb=1

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Haven't heard the AD 900X, but if you want a more fun pair with good isolation for movies, I'd recommend the DT 770 Pro-80s.  I use them pretty much exclusively for gaming and movies, and when I want a little more bass (as opposed to my DT 880s).

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 10
I am curious about these to myself. I have the AD900x and I was curious if the A900x - while being closed and not as "airy" - compared to AD900x or even the AD700 for positional ques.

I understand the the sound-stage is not as wide as the AD series, but have read that the A900x is pretty good i this category for a closed.  

So, has anyone used these for an FPS game and compared it to the AD700 for positional ques?

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 10
The A900x are a higher Tier than M50's. They are great all around headphones for music, TV and movies. They do have a great soundstage and airiness plus are good for games. Some great reviews here and I disagreed with Katun's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650499/comparison-review-ath-a9x-ath-a900x-akg-k550-three-way-shootout

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608889/review-audio-technica-ath-a900x
Quote:
I've already ordered my AD900X last month, and it's been delayed so I have to wait till the end of the month before it ... ships.

But I want a closed pair to compliment it. I kinda want the A900X (so to have both hehe), but I just want to know how different they sound before I dig in. I'd prefer a more 'fun' pair so that I could use them when a. I need isolation b. I want to game or watch anime/movies; is this the case?

If not, what should I consider? What about the M50s? How do they compare? They are considerably cheaper.

I'll be listening from my Xonar DGX and iPod Classic 6G. Considering buying the FiiO E12 amp.

I live in Sydney, Australia, so something I can buy here with a budget of <$170. I can't buy both an other pair of phones and an amp at the same time so I'm either getting the FiiO E12 or the closed phones. Decisions, decisions. Should I get the amp first or the closed headphones? 

EDIT: While I'm here, are cheap 3.5mm male to male cable alright? I'll need one for the E12. Like this one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5mm-Audio-Jack-Plug-cable-Male-to-Male-M-M-/320668727373?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4aa958784d&_uhb=1

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 10
You will never use the ath-a900x if you buy the ath-ad900x. Buy something that is more portable and closed since the ath-a900x are definitely not portable.

How would you compare the sound? I had the a900x and loved them. One of the best headphones out there especially in that price range. Does the AD keep the sound signature while expanding the sound stage? Does it preserve the bass and the natural mid and highs?

May 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
How would you compare the sound? I had the a900x and loved them. One of the best headphones out there especially in that price range. Does the AD keep the sound signature while expanding the sound stage? Does it preserve the bass and the natural mid and highs?

For the most part it does.  If anything the A900X is a closed AD900X if you know what I mean, when I first purchased the A900X I felt as if these things were meant to be open back.

They are far more comfortable than the A900X, the wings are sturdier and the pads are comfortable.  The AD900X sound wise is the open brother to the A900X, you get the sound stage, air-ier mids, and "magical" treble at the cost of midbass impact.

I have both and I pick up the AD900X almost every time.  It is not like the AD700 where the lows do not even exist, they do exist and are quite detailed.

There's those brief instances when the neighbor is mowing the lawn, that's when I'm thankful I've got closed cans..

May 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I am curious about these to myself. I have the AD900x and I was curious if the A900x - while being closed and not as "airy" - compared to AD900x or even the AD700 for positional ques.

I understand the the sound-stage is not as wide as the AD series, but have read that the A900x is pretty good i this category for a closed.  

So, has anyone used these for an FPS game and compared it to the AD700 for positional ques?

AD700 better hands down.

May 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I recommend you get a new source before getting an amp.  I got a Musiland 02 (USB DAC) used ~60 USD and I was amazed by the difference!  People gripe about the drivers but I had 0 issues, actually was solid compared to my DG lol.

An amazing investment really, brought out a lot more emotion and a few subtle details I have never heard before in my tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back