How deep should etymotic er4s go?
Aug 18, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 9
When I still had my HF5's I inserted them deeply into my ears, otherwise the bass wouldn't come out and play. That said, the grey tips from Etymotic weren't the most comfortable to me and I quickly went to thirdparty tips in the same shape.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 9
As long as you get a full seal, you should be fine.

If the tri-flanges are new, you want to put just a bit of baby lotion (or any unscented body lotion, remember not to use too much!) to cover the flanges before insertion and it will help breaking in the eartips faster / making it more comfortable. Also, if you are on the bigger tri-flanges, you should try the smaller tri-flanges as well.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 9
As long as you get a full seal, you should be fine.

If the tri-flanges are new, you want to put just a bit of baby lotion (or any unscented body lotion, remember not to use too much!) to cover the flanges before insertion and it will help breaking in the eartips faster / making it more comfortable. Also, if you are on the bigger tri-flanges, you should try the smaller tri-flanges as well.
thanks for the reply i just don't want to damage my ear canal

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 9
i tried them once and could never get a good seal which makes it sound tre-re-ble (no bass at all).

both me and my friend pushed it in so deep that the tip actually got flipped over.

how do you actually wear these?

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I have never used ety's triple flange ear tips, but it looks to be very similar to newer spinfit with 2 flanges. It's quite a feeling having something go that deep and snug into your brain, it's almost like it hurts a bit. You end up adjusting to it, but just keep in mind that many people use smaller size ear tips than they would usually for a shallower fit. I use medium comply for example, but the smallest 2 flange spinfit, and it goes so so deep that the spining part angles quite a lot after that 2nd bend in your ear canal. Take the smallest tri flange ear tip and push it inside till it 'tickles your brain', don't worry, you are not gonna come close to your eardrum but just a split hair further in your ear can feel like inches. If it hurts, try to stay clam for 5-10 mins and it should pass, if it doesn't, than simply use shallower fit with other ear tips or find even smaller 3 flange, perhaps modify yours somehow to reduce the size of each silicone circle. Considerable number people can't adjust to something being this deep in their ear canals, but many do and after some time this becomes very easy to do, doesn't hurt and isn't uncomfortable.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I have never used ety's triple flange ear tips, but it looks to be very similar to newer spinfit with 2 flanges. It's quite a feeling having something go that deep and snug into your brain, it's almost like it hurts a bit. You end up adjusting to it, but just keep in mind that many people use smaller size ear tips than they would usually for a shallower fit. I use medium comply for example, but the smallest 2 flange spinfit, and it goes so so deep that the spining part angles quite a lot after that 2nd bend in your ear canal. Take the smallest tri flange ear tip and push it inside till it 'tickles your brain', don't worry, you are not gonna come close to your eardrum but just a split hair further in your ear can feel like inches. If it hurts, try to stay clam for 5-10 mins and it should pass, if it doesn't, than simply use shallower fit with other ear tips or find even smaller 3 flange, perhaps modify yours somehow to reduce the size of each silicone circle. Considerable number people can't adjust to something being this deep in their ear canals, but many do and after some time this becomes very easy to do, doesn't hurt and isn't uncomfortable.
thank you this is exactly what i needed to know i don't want to damage my eardrum lol

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 9
I use triple flange tips with a number of my IEM's - I prefer the stability of sound they offer. I found that as long as you can achieve a good seal, you don't have to shove them in until they reach your brain. I found the best sound quality could be achieved by having a shallow insertion (with seal) and a pocket of equalised air in front of them. In other words, don't put them in too deep and then pull up on your ears to let a little air in so you don't feel any pressure behind the headphones. I found that this method improves comfort and improves the bass/mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back