How deep is the audio technica ATH-M50
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ptruslow

Head-Fier
i have a pair of v-moda crossfade lp headphones and thoroughly like them, but i have a person who will be buying them from me for profit and think i will step up to these but nearly every pair of headphones are uncomfortable with my ears touching the driver cover, whatever it may be. could any owner of the audio technica m50 headphones measure the depth of these cans. complete overall dimensions of the opening would be nice too; width, height, and depth especially.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
i have a pair of v-moda crossfade lp headphones and thoroughly like them, but i have a person who will be buying them from me for profit and think i will step up to these but nearly every pair of headphones are uncomfortable with my ears touching the driver cover, whatever it may be. could any owner of the audio technica m50 headphones measure the depth of these cans. complete overall dimensions of the opening would be nice too; width, height, and depth especially.

I have had these and returned them because of the touching thing. I heard FA-003/Brain-Wavz HM5/Berrs can fix this because of the deeper cups. I haven't tried this myself though.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Oh they're not too deep at all. In fact, your ears won't just be touching the driver cover, but the pads themselves will be behind your ears, sandwiched in between your head and back of your ears. They're quite cramped.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 15
well it is not that i have large ears, but the harder cartillage in the ear sticks out, so the only thing that matters much to me is the depth, i can get over anything else. also if it is possible to stuff something under the cups to make it deeper, it would be fine for ma and won't be the first time, it is what i did with my turtle beach x12. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 15
You could try going for the DT770 which is closed, and has velour pads which are always comfy. Not to mention, the only things between your ears and the plastic covering the drivers in the M50s, is a layer of cloth, while the DT770 is actually padded with foam.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 15
i would look into this but i really want to get the m50 for the low end, all i am asking is that an owner of them measure the depth of the cavity, the pads are not a big deal if they are deep enough.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 15
about 2cm? they're not very deep... but reasonably comfy. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
i would look into this but i really want to get the m50 for the low end, all i am asking is that an owner of them measure the depth of the cavity, the pads are not a big deal if they are deep enough.

It's been at least 2 years since I heard the DT770s, but FWIR, they would have more than enough bass for you. The M50s bass is overrated IMO. It's very punchy yes, but it doesn't extend very low and the energetic highs makes it unpleasant to turn up loud to get that "bass you can feel" feeling if that's what you're looking for. Overall they are very nice headphones, and I don't think you would be disappointed though. I certainly never noticed any discomfort with them, but it sounds like you have picky ears as far as comfort goes, so YMMV.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 15
still i would like to know the precise depth, 2cm? doesn't seem super precise and my ears don't need much space, but when it's not there it is uncomfortable. is it padded on the inside where the plastic covers the drivers.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 15
It sucks that you are selling the vmodas. If the m50s are not deep enough i recommend the sony xb500 or xb700 (if looks dont matter) because they have 1+ inch ear pads. I have the crossfades too and i love them. My brother has the xb500 and they almost sound as good (a hair less on bass) as the crossfades. They have pillows for earpads.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
still i would like to know the precise depth, 2cm? doesn't seem super precise and my ears don't need much space, but when it's not there it is uncomfortable. is it padded on the inside where the plastic covers the drivers.

Not really. It has just a piece of cloth that covers them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
It sucks that you are selling the vmodas. If the m50s are not deep enough i recommend the sony xb500 or xb700 (if looks dont matter) because they have 1+ inch ear pads. I have the crossfades too and i love them. My brother has the xb500 and they almost sound as good (a hair less on bass) as the crossfades. They have pillows for earpads.

my freind has the xb500 and i do not like the sound quality, it is a bit too muddied for my taste, i will be buying the m50 but i wan't to know if i will need to replace the pads or mod them to make them comfortable. i want some balanced headphones that produce good bass that overshadows nothing and i do not like the xb500 very much.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 15
I had to switch the pads on my M50s because my ear didn't fit properly and I couldn't wear them for over an hour. With Shure 840 pads I can use them for a whole day, no problem.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 15
[quote name="Ptruslow" url="/t/603857/how-deep-is-the-audio-technica-ath-m50#post_8279512"]

my freind has the xb500 and i do not like the sound quality, it is a bit too muddied for my taste, i will be buying the m50 but i wan't to know if i will need to replace the pads or mod them to make them comfortable. i want some balanced headphones that produce good bass that overshadows nothing and i do not like the xb500 very much.

[/quote] Balanced headphones, deep pads/comfort, headphones that produce good bass that overshadows nothing... My friend, have you considered the Fischer Audio FA-003? It can be had for around the same price as the M50s, (and in my opinion) much more balanced, while still having a bass presence. And the pads? Easily one of the biggest and most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of putting on my head. If you're interested, check out the Brainwavz HM5 which is basically the exact same thing - Yoga sells a rebranded version. http://www.head-fi.org/t/585281/review-brainwavz-hm5-a-new-neutral-champ http://www.head-fi.org/t/603239/creative-aurvana-live-vs-brainwavz-hm5/15 On the other hand, you will probably want to do some mods with the M50 for larger pads... but from what I remember doing so can produce iffy results sound-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back