How dangerous would a wire transplant be?(Grado)
Aug 31, 2003 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oas

Head-Fier
I am looking for a rather simple DIY project. Not really to improve sound, just to sort of 'customize' my grado 225's. And to get rid of that annoying twist in the cable.

So, how hard/dangerous would it be to change wires, and is there any sort of 'splitter' avalible? And by splitter, I mean something like what all grados have, to split the one wire into 2.

rs1smile.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Over at Headwize (\Library\Projects) they have an article on Grado Mods. The addendum for the Gilmore project also describes a dual-mono Grado mod.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Wire transplant/recable is a bit of a daunting mod if you're inexperienced (like me).

From my understanding, you need the cable, the ability to open up the Grados and de-solder the current cable, then solder on the new. Then you need (ideally) heatshrink or nylon/polyester mono/multifillament.

My Grados (lower-end, but hey, it's still worth it in my book) also have a wonky wire. I plan on having them recabled by someone that knows what they're doing, for under 200.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 4
For what it is worth - you don't HAVE to desolder the old wire. Open up the cans, clip it with an inch or so left, and strip it, and solder your new cable to the old (once you've threaded the new wire in, and added your strain relief). 

You can find Y-splitters from Qables.com (Bulky though), viablue, and others. Or, what some have done is to use an extra brass barrel from a neutrik 3.5mm connector (fill with something like hot glue after you run the wires in), and shrink tube over the whole shebang. You can get Y "pants" to use, or make your own from extra shrink tube.

Personally - I opted to modify my 225's for balanced, single sided entry. But that's a bit more involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back