How cut highest treble down to acceptable level?
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

maxdot

New Head-Fier
Hello

I am currently using the AC3 filter for sound when watching movies on computer. I have a problem, in some movies there are terrible treble peaks that cuts through my ears if I want good all around treble in effects and such.

(I'm using the xonar dx soundcard and the little dot mk iii with hd650 headphones.)

Is there any way to actually just cut the highest treble peaks (to lower them a few decibels) out from the movie or sound output into my headphones?
I'm talking about perhaps 10 treble peaks that are just aweful in a full movie. It really ruins it for me a bit in these movies because I basically need to lower volume for the whole movie now if I don't want the treble to sound very dull (by just turning down treble in equaliser).

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
You're talking about "HT Re-Eq" which I don't believe any software media player employs; you can just tug down a few dB at 8k or 16k on your EQ though - should solve the problem.

Alright, I guess I'm screwed then since that is what I'm doing. Just a shame there is no option for this when all other sound is really nice. Thanks anyways though!

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Mar 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 28
So now I fired up the program, however... I really don't get this program. It seems to be a game creator software...?
Or where do you find the treble limiter for windows

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Doesn't the Xonar have some sort of "smart volume" or "volume limit" function in its drivers? Creative cards do - it's called "SVM" (Smart Volume Management); look for something like that (I'd assume the Xonar does, as they're fairly competitive/comparable to the Creative cards).

HI

Yep, and I tried it before and it really sucks unfortunately. I am not alone with this oppinion, there are whole threads about it... 

Strange to me that there seems to be no solution available on this... Thanks for all your answers though good forum!

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 28

This is the feature you'd actually need: http://extranet.thx.com/technologies/reeq.html

But as far as I'm aware, that isn't available on any PC. So you have to make do with a compressor and/or EQ. 
Quote:
HI

Yep, and I tried it before and it really sucks unfortunately. I am not alone with this oppinion, there are whole threads about it... 

Strange to me that there seems to be no solution available on this... Thanks for all your answers though good forum!

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
This is the feature you'd actually need: http://extranet.thx.com/technologies/reeq.html

But as far as I'm aware, that isn't available on any PC. So you have to make do with a compressor and/or EQ. 

Oowww , I want it :p !! Too bad no windows programs for this you mention.

So, just a compressor to cut highest treble sound. Which compressor are we talking about here?
I searched some audio compressors on ebay but I have no clue.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 28

The "volume limit" feature with your soundcard will be suitable, coupled with an EQ curve that starts at say, -3 dB at 8k and -6 dB at 16k (get more aggressive if you want); should flatten the top-end right out for you. 
Quote:
Oowww , I want it :p !! Too bad no windows programs for this you mention.

So, just a compressor to cut highest treble sound. Which compressor are we talking about here?
I searched some audio compressors on ebay but I have no clue.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 28
Not really a simple solution but the 800-pound gorilla in sound processing solutions is Virtual Audio Cable+VSTHost--allows you to run all VST effects on all system audio--parametric EQ, multiband compressor, you name it. (those two categories are also the most helpful to your situation IMHO)

Also I suggest you download Sinegen and run sine sweeps through your phones on your ears at a moderate level to find out what frequencies are troubling you the most and tune down those frequencies selectively in parametric EQ. Worked for me!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Not really a simple solution but the 800-pound gorilla in sound processing solutions is Virtual Audio Cable+VSTHost--allows you to run all VST effects on all system audio--parametric EQ, multiband compressor, you name it. (those two categories are also the most helpful to your situation IMHO)
Also I suggest you download Sinegen and run sine sweeps through your phones on your ears at a moderate level to find out what frequencies are troubling you the most and tune down those frequencies selectively in parametric EQ. Worked for me!

Thankyou for your answer Joe

I absolutely do not care if it is complicated as long as I get it to work in the end. 
So, I have now downloaded both programs and read about them just a bit. Do you know how to set this up for my purposes? 
I now have the xonar dx equaliser in windows that runs my sound and use classic media player for movies. 
So I just install all 3 programs, and can you tell me what to do..? I will be experimenting till you have time to answer.

edit: I just started both programs. Lol I can't even find the equaliser, my program looks like this:

I have no clue as to where to begin..
The other program looks like this:

edit2: I now found the program line in in playback devices: Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable (Ready). Although I have not enabled it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back