How comfortable are the ER-4P's?
Jun 5, 2004 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

stream

New Head-Fier
After doing a lot of lurking and reading, I've decided to go with the ER-4P's for my iPod 3G 15GB model. I'm a clarity guy, so I think they're right for me.

I have a question though...just how comfortable are they? There's a good chance I could be wearing them several hours a day (I carry my iPod with me everywhere). The phones that come with the iPod have been killing me, so I'm worried that my ears just don't like in-ear phones.

Thanks for your opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jesse

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 56
After you get used to them, took me about a week, they will almost disappear.
etysmile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by stream
The phones that come with the iPod have been killing me, so I'm worried that my ears just don't like in-ear phones.

With respect to mclaren20, the Etys are known as being more uncomfortable than most. I'm sure one learns to get used to them, but from your comment, may I suggest getting a cheap canalphone like the Sony EX70/71, just to see if your ears can tolerate having something in them all the time. Let's make this clear that I'm not recommending the Sonys for their audio qualities, but they are known pretty well for their comfort. If those feel bad in your ears, Etys and Shures will feel terrible, no doubt.

You can pick up some EX71s pretty cheap. Maybe even ebay search for the black ones, they sell cheap. The white ones sell at a premium because the iPod users buy them, but the black ones should be available cheap. The price you pay should be less than the loss you'll make if you buy Etys and don't like them, and then have to sell them on second hand.

Just a thought, take it or leave it. Hope it helps though.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 56
another alternative is the ER6. it has a pretty similar sonic signature to the ER4 but not as detailed, not as much bass, slightly harsher highs, not as wide soundstage, etc. the good thing is that it is more comfortable (they don't go as deep into the ear and are more flexible) and have less cord noise. they are about half the cost of the ER4. I am fine with both ER4 and ER6 and can wear both for hours although they don't exactly disappear when I wear them. I find the new ER4P braided cord to be a big improvement over the previous straight cord as well. but if you like detailed sound and are new to canalphones, the ER6 is a good starting point.

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

I'm a clarity guy, so I think they're right for me.

Browsing this forum i found out that the ER-4S has more clarity over the ER-4P. But then the P is more easily driven.

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 56
Very good suggestions, guys. Thanks.

EightyEight, I would think the ER-4P's would be more suited to me since I'm using a low-powered portable mp3 player (the iPod). I read many times that mp3 player amplifiers aren't powerful enough to make the ER-4S's sound as good as they can. That's certainly up for debate, though
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jesse

Jun 6, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 56
Your ears will require time to adjust (a week or so). After that, etys will feel very natural. I use foam tips and find them more comfortable then the tri-flange tips.

Jun 6, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 56
For me they damn near dissapeared after I got used to them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe you are different, but thats what happened to me.

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 56
I found the EXD71s woefully uncomfortable. The ER4Ps, on the other hand, took only several days to get used to, and I can now wear them for hours.

I'd say it's fairly individual, but you're likely to find them comfortable. Many prefer the foam tips to the rubber tips for comfort, but it'll all depend on your canal.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 56
Here's another vote for very confortable. I've had them a long time and I can't think of ever taking them off becuase of comfort issues.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 56
I think that ER20 earplugs have the same tip as ER4, so you could buy a pair of them and see how you like it.. I have them so the biggest flange is just touching my ear canal. They're really comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back